Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know another hauler build. ... But there might be something that helps

Decided in April to build another toy hauler. Unlike my last hauler I wanted this one to be single rear wheel tow vehicle friendly. But at the same time wanted to be able to haul RZR and crawler.

Decided I wanted an Airstream for the donor camper but then after a little research figured out they are a little pricey. So I purchased a 2013 Rockwood 2304s. Really nice trailer with all kinds of bells and whistles.

Got it home and stared at it for a couple days then decided that was not what I originally wanted and that did not want to put all the time into a build that I did not have my heart in.
So I put the rockwood up for sale and found an used Airstream in Dallas area.

This build is not much different than my previous builds with a few exceptions. I had Kevin Parks from Parks Trailer build the base gooseneck and aside from that I wanted the challenge of doing everything else by myself with no help. Part of the challenge was getting things done that would normally take two or more people or heavy equipment.

2013 Rockwood 2304s
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370748439.486555.jpg

2007 Airstream 19 Special Edition Bambi
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370748474.052315.jpg

2013 Gooseneck custom 34' length 16' camper space 18' x 102" deck with two 7k dexter torsion axles on a 48" spread. 12" I beam
On the way to house
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370748511.826389.jpg

Black 3900lb aluminum wheels with Michelin XPS tires
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370748559.101391.jpg

Painted and wired
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370748535.578254.jpg

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Off to get weights again this time pretty much finished and everything full of fluids propane, water, gas, diesel, tools, personnel stuff in camper......you get the picture worse case scenario on weight
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370750493.138741.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370750664.099516.jpg
All the weights are accurate except the 6100 on single axle....due to the torsions not equalizing as the scale falls the front axle started picking up the weight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370750692.026783.jpg
Before had 46' spread.... After weighing moved front axle back to 38' spread
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370750736.858449.jpg
Weights were actually pretty good but scrub was bad and moving axle should help that and help give me the flexibility of putting more weight on pick up if wanted. I'm 420lbs over on axle weight loaded hard with RZR and crawler....would like to be able to shift that to truck ...will only bring pin weight to about 2300lbs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370750826.474502.jpg

Will get new weights tomorrow with the new axle setup

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have always hated the AirStreams due to the fact that I saw a show that depicted them as hippy-mobiles and tree hugger celebrity rides, but this has forced a COMPLETE change of heart. I have always known that I would one day build my own toy haulers/camper like this and many others, and this certainly has the potential to be one of my favorite. Awesome work and I will be keeping an eye on and referring back to this one!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
AWESOME !!! :smokin:

as usual your attention to details is just amazing ...

i`m sure many Airstream purists will hate you for "wasting" a perfect Bambi :laughing: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Im far from a hippy, but since seeing a new one in person at an RV show 4 or 5 years ago.... Im a believer.

Compared to most other MFGs Airstreams look and feel like hand-built custom RVs

·
Apple
11,695 Posts
I hope that propane tank has access from the side, or you may have problems getting it filled. a lot of yards have a straight nozzle and the hose does not flex much. they may not be able to hook up to that set up if it has to be accessed from the top.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That's a cool hauler!
Thanks

I have always hated the AirStreams due to the fact that I saw a show that depicted them as hippy-mobiles and tree hugger celebrity rides, but this has forced a COMPLETE change of heart. I have always known that I would one day build my own toy haulers/camper like this and many others, and this certainly has the potential to be one of my favorite. Awesome work and I will be keeping an eye on and referring back to this one!!
Same here, always seemed some of the AS crowd singing to a different tune. But that's what made the AS such a perfect choice.

AWESOME !!! :smokin:

as usual your attention to details is just amazing ...

i`m sure many Airstream purists will hate you for "wasting" a perfect Bambi :laughing: :flipoff2:
Thanks lol on "Molesting" the Bambi. It will defiantly be interesting to deal with "the crowd". However their big thing is being different than the rest of the rv crowd.

Im far from a hippy, but since seeing a new one in person at an RV show 4 or 5 years ago.... Im a believer.

Compared to most other MFGs Airstreams look and feel like hand-built custom RVs
they are most defiantly built a little deferent than most. Somewhat simplistic with not many changes over the years. You can go look at a 2013 model and there are not any changes from my model.

Speechless! Nice work.
appreciate it

I hope that propane tank has access from the side, or you may have problems getting it filled. a lot of yards have a straight nozzle and the hose does not flex much. they may not be able to hook up to that set up if it has to be accessed from the top.
Already filled at two different stores.... The top is just the access door, the hose can be slide underneath and possibly handled through the door. However before it comes up i just tell them i will crawl under and hook it up.[/

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got my weights since moving front axle back and closer to rear axle. Almost did away with the scrub I was concerned about

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370832875.642710.jpg

Added about 600 lbs of things since last weigh in such as crawler and trailer spares, two large batteries, all my spare parts, ATV ramps, and some water in grey tanks.

Bumped pin weight up from 1800 to 2200. Perfect, I can always back crawler up to lower pin weight.
This is one of the best pulling trailers I've owned.

Had road closed on way to scales and DPS let me exit hwy to access road and the twist up ditch put my plate holder to the test

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370832897.406216.jpg

It's hinged

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370832911.645227.jpg

·
Registered
14,453 Posts
I have always liked them. My grandfather (who volunteered for the merchant marines because he was too old for the draft in WW2 and taught me how to shoot) bought one new in the early 70s. Not a hippy machine.

OP, I was looking at doing something similar. Cant decide between that and a bus hauler.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts