Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going to put my Longfield IFS hub gears in, and got to thinking that I had a few different hubs around and wanted to compare them. I had personally used a Samurai cap on a Toyota body, so I new that much was similar. How much more is similar, and what is different? What would it take to run the Samurai parts on a Toyota axle?

I am sure a lot of us suspect that they are very similar, but I have never seen a documented Samurai to Toyota conversion.. I even searched :flipoff2: and found some info
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472148&highlight=hubs

but nothing really definitive

Left to right, straight axle Toyota hubs (30 spline), IFS Toyota hubs (27 spline), and Samurai hubs (22 spline)

The IFS hub offsets the gear to the outside, hence the ‘conversion’ gear from Bobby Long. I didn’t measure, but the difference is obvious. The Samurai and Toyota bodies appear the same.

And hub gears left to right: Longfield IFS conversion gear, Toyota gear, IFS gear, and Samurai gear

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After disassembly, in my best judgment, I would say the bodies between the Samurai and Toyota are 100% identical. In fact, the only part that appears different is the hub gear itself.

Toyota on left, Samurai on right

In order: Toyota, IFS, Samurai

The sliding gears (er, whatever it’s called) appear identical in all 3

As do the caps/dials

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toyota hubs with the Samurai gears in them

Samurai hubs with Toyota gears in them

And the IFS hubs with the Long gears

I kinda wish I had bought the regular hub gears now, just so I could run the ‘Samurai’ ones and continue to test this. I used the Samurai cap, springs and sliding gear on the IFS body/Longfield hub gear, so I kind of am testing it. The Samurai bodies with Toyota hub gears will be my spares

I had these Samurai hubs on Craiglist a while back, couldn’t even get 40 bucks for them. I am glad they didn’t sell, they are more useful than I thought. Most of us have piles of spare Samurai parts around, this way you can keep the stock Toyota hubs for spares, and put upgraded gears in the Samurai ones to run on your Toyota axle

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Very good tech mister. Yes your right, the samie hub bodys are the same as the straight axle toyota, so our 30 spline straight axle hub gear will work in the samie hub body.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
very nice. I found the difference between SA and IFS bodies, but didn't have any sami hubs around.
Are tracker hubs the same as Sami?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Nice write up! I've got a bunch of spare samurai hubs that I have been trying to get rid of but nobody wants them. Guess I found a new use for them. Thanks!

·
ZUK Herder
4,495 Posts
great tech and great write up, I will be adding this to the tech FAQ

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very good tech mister. Yes your right, the samie hub bodys are the same as the straight axle toyota, so our 30 spline straight axle hub gear will work in the samie hub body.
Thanks, it just seamed too easy. I am glad to hear you confirm this

very nice. I found the difference between SA and IFS bodies, but didn't have any sami hubs around.
I was wondering the same thing about the track/kick hubs. Can you run them on a Samurai axle? If you can, I would think they could convert the same. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nissan, Isuzu, Mitsu, etc might also share some parts

Mr. Longfield, any more info on what’s compatible?

If anyone has some pictures/info on other Aisin hub interchangeability, please feel free to share. Or if someone wants to loan me some sidekick hubs or others, I’d be glad to try and check them out

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been rebuilding AISIN hubs for several years now, mainly selling them over on the Ih8mud.com forum.

About a third of the hub sets I sell, I end up sourcing Samurai hub bodies and installing Longfield inner hub gears. Usually customers just buy them direct from Bobby/Tina and have them shipped to my house. In saying this, the Sammy hub bodies are identical except for the inner hub gears. This makes sense as AISIN produces the hub bodies for so many vehicles, changing the inner hub gear is the only difference.

I could go on and on about how much better these locking hubs are than Warns....holy crap...those are hard to rebuild.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
We have been discussing this over on ZukiKrawlers and the general consensus seems to be that they are different. But we were discussing whether or not would could swap them, not take them apart and re-assemble using the internals.

I knew that the only difference between the Sami and Toy hubs is the spline gear that actually goes on the axle it's self, and since the Trac/Kick hubs are also made by AISIN, you would think you could take them apart and make them work.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
very interesting I am sure someone is reading this remembering throwing away a pair saying oh man right now.:laughing:
That sure leaves options open for us all and those aisin hubs aren't something we are swimming in for the most part anyhow. I just swapped in land cruiser aisin hubs onto my 85 front I put a solid axle widening kit, longfield chromo hubs to compliment my 30 spline longs:laughing:, and six shooter knuckles so if anyone is wondering yes they bolt right up too. I was running flanges and I'm welded front and rear but it is nice to have the option. In all honesty its mostly for going from the garage to the trailer in a better turning radius. Anyone got the link to the stud eliminator thread to make this a one stop shopping for anyone searching in the future. I think a 7/16 or 3/8 bolt was used.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
very interesting I am sure someone is reading this remembering throwing away a pair saying oh man right now.:laughing:
That sure leaves options open for us all and those aisin hubs aren't something we are swimming in for the most part anyhow. I just swapped in land cruiser aisin hubs onto my 85 front I put a solid axle widening kit, longfield chromo hubs to compliment my 30 spline longs:laughing:, and six shooter knuckles so if anyone is wondering yes they bolt right up too. I was running flanges and I'm welded front and rear but it is nice to have the option. In all honesty its mostly for going from the garage to the trailer in a better turning radius. Anyone got the link to the stud eliminator thread to make this a one stop shopping for anyone searching in the future. I think a 7/16 or 3/8 bolt was used.

That guy who threw them away was almost me... :laughing: So Land Cruiser hubs are the same too, which Cruiser, or does it matter? That is good to know. That should also mean that you can put Samurai hubs on a Cruiser axle with just a hub gear change

7/16th locking hub bolts
Though I don't know if I like the idea of no cone washer

6 dowel pin mod
There are several other good links in this thread

Front Range Off-Road ARP hubs stud upgrade

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Samurai wheel hub with Toyota hub studs? Sure, why not. Toyota studs look like they should work just fine, too bad I dont have the Samurai studs to compare Doesn't look like there isn't enough material in the wheel hub to do the pin mod on the Samurai wheel hub (though I can't see it being needed anyway)

Here are the FROR ARP Toyota studs in the Samurai wheel hub

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was taking apart my IFS hubs and found that the free wheeling hub ring has a perforated brass insert to aid the inner hub gear. The solid axle hubs I've taken apart before didn't have anything like this and I've found that they are usually destroyed.

Thought this would be some useful information for people wanting to upgrade to the IFS free wheeling hub rings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts