Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may remember the Build Party of 2006, in which a group of us gun-building hobbyists got together and threw down for some AK-47 type rifles. Well we've decided to do it again this year, to coincide with a finishing-party for some other rifle projects that have taken place over this year.

The advantage of having a build party like these, are that it seriously reduces the overhead costs associated with building rifles. For instance, if you have one member of the group who wants a rifle, is interested in learning the process of building one, but will not build another one, this person can save a lot of money by not needing to buy tools that another person already has, and can bring to the group.

Another advantage to build parties, is it gives someone who wants an AK the chance to learn from others and gain a bit of knowledge about building. Several people had never even fired an AK before, but went out and got kits, and with a bit of assistance, were able to walk away with fully-functioning and complete rifles. There's something very satisfying about taking someone who has little, or no mechanical prowess, and walking them through the steps in building an AK (it's pretty simple, really) and then seeing the look on their face when they realize they have a new toy to play with on the weekend.

Build parties are great, when they're thought out and planned thoroughly. The '06 build party started being planned in 2005. Likewise, this build party began the planning phase a few months after the '06 party was wrapped. I have taken a back seat in most of the '07 planning, and will probably not be getting any rifles out of the party, but as a contributing member of the group, I have been more than happy to dedicate some time to the process. Depending on who drops out of the build, I may end up with a receiver or two. Some people are only doing receivers, where others are doing full builds. And there are a few that "wanted" receivers, but have already backed out of the build. Me, being a "have kit, will build" kind of guy, I may snag up some of the extras if any become available.

So, since this is an on-going event, I will post a few pics as I can. The overall methods will be the same this year, with the one exception that we will not be parkerizing these rifles. Last year's park experience was not something we want to go through again, simply due to the hazards of the chemicals involved... and it was kind of a pain in the ass... but they came out great.

These receivers were bent using a jig and a hydraulic press. Two members of the group bent these at their location, then drove them up to us for installing the rails and heat-treating--which myself and 2 others did this weekend.

Expect some updates over the next few weeks....

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Other then the time for bead blasting I haven't had any issues with parking.

Will you guys weld, screw, or rivet?
If the later what 'tool' are you using? I am getting ready to break down and get the full on hydraulic riveter from AKbuilder.

Pete

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These will be welded because it's fast, easy, and more forgiving.

However, I am seriously wanting to do a rivet build in the very near future, and have considered some riveting tools as well. I've been looking at the tools from akbuilder.com also...

I'll probably look more into it after this build is finished.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
reading skills are a positive, here.

looks like someone is about to have some fun...

BTW, your license plate is visible in that pic...

so are typing skillz :flipoff2:

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Updated the pic. Didn't really pay attention before...

Not all the kits will be the same. Several will be Romy G kits, a few will be Hungarian, and there will be 2 polish underfolders--which by the way, after this second round of polish builds, we've made a rule: NO MORE Polish underfolders, they're a pain in the ass :laughing:

Receivers were 80% flats from tapco.

I've been considering a tantal 5.45 kit, and will probably do at least 1-2 more romy kits just because they're cheap. If I can get ahold of an hungarian kit, I may consider one of those as well, but not by this build is wrapped.

and I've been seriously considering an RPK as well, but that's another thread...

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
However, I am seriously wanting to do a rivet build in the very near future, and have considered some riveting tools as well. I've been looking at the tools from akbuilder.com also...

I'll probably look more into it after this build is finished.
I talked to Curtis today and he has another batch of Jigs getting welded up right now. So I would have it by the end of the month, but probably not in enough time to use it prior to the show.
Will plod along with the bolt cutters and see how sales go at the show.

Why does it matter if you had your license in the photo?

Pete

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to Curtis today and he has another batch of Jigs getting welded up right now. So I would have it by the end of the month, but probably not in enough time to use it prior to the show.
Will plod along with the bolt cutters and see how sales go at the show.

Why does it matter if you had your license in the photo?

Pete

How's your bolt-cutter riveter working out for you? And would you be interested in loaning it out sometime in the next few months?

Some people get worried about license pics online, as they can sometimes be used as identification. I'm not really too worried about it, but out of consideration to those that are... it's been taken care of.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
reading skills ae a positive, here.
thanks for the useless response. did you even read my question? b/c your quote didn't answer it :shaking:

Not all the kits will be the same. Several will be Romy G kits, a few will be Hungarian, and there will be 2 polish underfolders--which by the way, after this second round of polish builds, we've made a rule: NO MORE Polish underfolders, they're a pain in the ass :laughing:

Receivers were 80% flats from tapco.
now there's the answer. tapco, and a mix of types.

·
Registered
544 Posts
why not? i'd be down for it, as would two more friends. i'm pretty sure they have 5 or 6 parts kits they never did anything with

I have at least one other person in Alexandria, but most likely 2 that would be in. All we need is a press, a jig and some guidance.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Man do I wish we could put together a build party in VA.

I'd be down for that. I don't know what I'd be doing but I'd be down for that

So it looks like we have 4 people. I have a friend or three that might be interested as well

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I'd be down for that. I don't know what I'd be doing but I'd be down for that

So it looks like we have 4 people. I have a friend or three that might be interested as well
My little bro and I could probably scrape up the cash for a kit each :smokin:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Outstanding! So it looks like 8-10 people so far. Now, who has:
1. A press
2. A jig
3. Any idea what hell they're doing?

Doc?

·
Registered
26,689 Posts
I've got all three but it's a bit of a drive.

My bolt cutter riveter worked great but it finally broke on me. Definitely whip up a few of them in case they snap on you.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
I'm in Roanoke....I'd love to do it!!

I've built only one AK so far. Been looking for an excuse to build more. Addicting as hell!!

Can't say I know what I'm doing like others here, but mine turned out pretty well and goes boom every time. :smokin:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts