Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done bending up 11 flats with my ak-builder jig. The flats are all ak-builder flats and i need to locate and drill each trunnion hole. What is everyone using? I skimmed docs ak build thread with no luck. Since i will be needing to locate and drill 132 holes i want to be as efficient as possible. I found this video but i dont have a drill press :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJyR5KIemsU

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,321 Posts
That video is the method I've used on my last few builds and it has worked great.

If you don't have a drill press, I'd recommend getting one. They're not expensive, and you'll use it for a lot more than just building an AK or two.

If you are gentle in your de-mill, you can use the receiver scraps as a template. I've also used that method with good results.

Last option is to get some digital calipers and measure. It can be a bit tougher to get everything perfect, but if you double and tripple-check your measurements, you can get them spot-on with a set of good calipers.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That video is the method I've used on my last few builds and it has worked great.

If you don't have a drill press, I'd recommend getting one. They're not expensive, and you'll use it for a lot more than just building an AK or two.

If you are gentle in your de-mill, you can use the receiver scraps as a template. I've also used that method with good results.

Last option is to get some digital calipers and measure. It can be a bit tougher to get everything perfect, but if you double and tripple-check your measurements, you can get them spot-on with a set of good calipers.
Good idea about the stubs, i think i have a dozen or so kickin around the shop floor, ill have to see if i have any usable. I would like to avoid the caliper route as i have so many to do i will get burnt out quick.

I would love to buy a drill press but im tapped out on my toy fund, i dropped some serious coin with curtis to get all my tooling for this set of builds :(

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
I made a hole locater.

2 very thin strips of sheet metal.
They are maybe 3" long and about 3/8" wide.
I clamped them together, one atop the other and drilled two holes in one end. Then bolted them together through the holes with a couple #8nuts and bolts.
At the other end I drilled a 1/8" hole.
Unbolted the two pieces and in one of them I enlarged the 1/8 hole to the same diameter as an AK rivit. Cut the head off a rivit, stuck it in this hole and then with very low heat welded it. Ground the weld smooth.
Bolt the two halfs back together again.
The 1/8" hole is now over the center of the rivit stub.
You stick the stub into the trunnion hole. Slide the trunnion into the receiver. The lower pice of sheet metal with the stub is between receiver and stub, the other one is on the reciever. When the trunnion is where you want it, mark the receiver, throught the 1/8" hole with a center punch.

You could also get a pair of long nose needle nose pliers and make these

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Drill a hole roughly where the rivet is, and weld the bitch together.

What? You're not doing a weld build? What are you, some kind of queer?

Don't forget to order some :rainbow: duracoat for it. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts

x2 Weld the bitch

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Welding is for people who dont have an ak-builder rivet tool. :flipoff2: My buddy and i bought some tools from curtis, and we plan to rent or sell em after we build these 11 or so rifles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts