Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
The garage. Or the closet. Or the attic. Most of the people here bought kits months or years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The garage. Or the closet. Or the attic. Most of the people here bought kits months or years ago.
I just looked, I don't see any in any of those locations... :flipoff2:

I did a bunch of searching and didn't find anything recent, guess all the good deals are gone just like everything else.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts

I did a bunch of searching and didn't find anything recent, guess all the good deals are gone just like everything else.

I went and looked and found some in a closet. I was afraid I had run out... but not yet... :D

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
there are some aks buried in okla.........wait.......those are not parts set.....technically......but they are ak parts......

·
Registered
34,267 Posts

same here
found a french fry, candy wraper & a dead mouse:(
no ak's?????????
where do I look again?

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
thx
I got a flat a few weeks ago
a dvd
bought 30rd mags back in the 80s
used to buy all kinds of mags at gunshows back then
hell used to buy uzis when they were brand new & only $400
were pretty worthless back then, but I always kept the mags:D

never thought to build my own guns untill the last year or so, should have been buying those AK kits when you guys were saying $79 was too high,lol

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Hmmm, 100 bucks for a bulgy. Is that because you have to drop the coin for a milled reciever? Oh, I see now. No barrel either. But damn I want that bakelite furniture!!:laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
I remember when the krink kits were $400, I was waiting for them to come down... lol

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
They drill them through the chamber.

I've read of people making a sleeve for the OD of the breech, and milling out the chamber and creating an insert, then gone in with a chamber reamer and re-cut the chamber, but I've never seen one personally, or seen how well it holds up.

I'm guessing the insert is welded in through the drilled holes, then lathed smooth, then the sleeve pressed over. Obviously it would require opening up the trunnion enough to accept the now over-sized barrel breech, which may not be practical for all builds, so it's something that would have to take into consideration.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Thanks for the links guys.

Looking at this one

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/1820

Anything about the Romanian AK's I need to know? Any fancy reciever or barrel I need or will any of them work?

No. Romanain barrels are typical AKM barrels. If you get one of the "virgin" Romy barrels listed on apex's website, you will have to drill all holes and pin groves. Gas port is slanted at 45*. An end mill makes it quick and easy work.

You can use standard drill bits for all the gas block and sight block holes. You can use an undersized drill bit for the barrel pin, but it is a good idea to cut it with an endmill and use a reamer to finish out the barrel pin slot. Those reamers can be found on akbuilder's website. You do not want to wallow-out the barrel pin hole with a standard drill bit.

Also, if the kit doesn't come with a barrel, you'll need a set of headspace gauges for the caliber to set the barrel depth before reaming for the pin.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
Great fuck.... I thought these things were supposed to be easy... :laughing:

Any sources for used barrels to cut down on the stuff I cant do?

They're out there. Might try the private market places like gun broker or some of the AK-related for-sale forums.

It's not an overly-difficult process if you decide to try it yourself... Or you could send it out to have the work done, since none of it is receiver-related.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts