Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Krebs has some converted AK47 drums designed to work with the 74. Only $300ea

:eek:

Anyone know of any other sources?

Wonder how hard it would be to convert. I have some steal 74 mags. Cut the top off and weld to the drum??
:confused:

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Does 545 fit in a 7.62 mag?

Does 39.5mm v. 39mm actually make a difference?

I know that 545 mags won't fit in a 7.62 rifle.

Are the 7.62 drums "spacious" inside, front-to-rear?

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
So Krebs has some converted AK47 drums designed to work with the 74. Only $300ea

:eek:

Anyone know of any other sources?

Wonder how hard it would be to convert. I have some steal 74 mags. Cut the top off and weld to the drum??
:confused:
Troy at barrel exchange does them for Krebs. You can buy from him, but they're usually the same price.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The length of the round is close enough that I dont think that will be an issue.

I dont have any AK drums, so not really sure. But I am dieing to give it a try. I think it is a required accessory for my 3-pin AK74.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
The length of the round is close enough that I dont think that will be an issue.

I dont have any AK drums, so not really sure. But I am dieing to give it a try. I think it is a required accessory for my 3-pin AK74.
I bought a few when they were the "great deal" at $75 a pop, shortly followed by everyone selling them for $69.95.

If you want one to tinker with, let me know and I'll send it to you. If you get it running, convert one for me too and we'll call it even. If not, send it back in whatever form it ends up in...I've pretty much written them off anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
The "great deal" ones were likely the Korean copies, and something about the Korean mfr process makes them a lot more difficult to convert. Barrel exchange will only do the romanian ones.

YMMV.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a few when they were the "great deal" at $75 a pop, shortly followed by everyone selling them for $69.95.

If you want one to tinker with, let me know and I'll send it to you. If you get it running, convert one for me too and we'll call it even. If not, send it back in whatever form it ends up in...I've pretty much written them off anyway.
Deal John. Send me two, I will returning a working one to you.

:)

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK looking at the drums. It almost seems like the two plates that make up the internal revolving mechanism need to be replaced also. I need to fool around some more with it, but the 5.45 are not as tight as the 7.62 in the coil and tilt and jam.

This could be much harder than anticipated.

Googling to see if I can find any photo of the modded internals.
This was found on ARF. Supposedly just the extra material on the inner ring on lower arrow

This is from a post by barrel exchange on Uzi talk

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
seems some sheetmetal "U"'s would shim the rounds evenly the whole way round.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts

Yep, I've got 8 or 9 drums in my basement that I'm stuck with because I thought I'd be able to flip them. The one I have used though has been nearly flawless though.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the issue is the gate/fence peace that controls the round going up into the chamber. The part near the bullet needs some tweaking. Otherwise it looks like it will work.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the drum disassembled, drilled out spot welds, etc.
I cut the tower in half. The width of the dremel cut of was almost perfect. Just a little more removal with a file and than when welded back together it fits into the 74 mag well.
A little bit was removed from the front, and the tab on the front was narrowed.

The probelm I am having is welding the guides back into the tower. They are made of spring steel, but for some reason my first attempt at welding it back in failed.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sounds like silver solder may be the way to go if its doing what i think when you weld on it. Do you have a torch? Brownells has several different types of silver solder, and flux available. Its lower temp i believe than what i have used before. With what i have i have been able to repair seat springs in car seats without completely destroying the temper of the spring.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool, I will give that a try.
The pieces were spot welded I thought, but now not sure.

On the next one I wont cut the guide piece off. Its attached to the inside wall. narrowing the tunnel, and bend the fingers a little and she should be good to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts