Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a dove tailed k5 in the front on one tons 5.38, welded, full hydro steering, 42" tsl, and beadlocks. Its got a stock 350 tbi motor and a worn 700r/208. Ive got a th350/203 laying around but trans will need built. But I also have a fully built 2wd th400 with aftermarket case built to handle 2000hp. I have access to a drivers side drop 241 but for a 700r.

I also have a weiand 177 blower laying around for a bbc, and can get a complete 454 tbi motor for a reasonable price.

My question is, what would you all do, put a stock 454 with blower on it, keep it fuel injected, built th400 and a 205?

Or, build a doubler with my built th400 with atleast one of my transfer cases?

I can only do one of the above mentioned upgrades, and least expensive choice would be better cause of my baby thats on the way. I want my blazer to be an all around rig: river, trails, mud, crawling.

Im sure ill get yelled at or flamed about my question. Im just torn on what upgrade to do. I change my mind about every 2hrs. Lol I would just like to hear opinions on what others would do in same situation to help clear my mind. Thanks, joe.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
For now I'd do a th400 and double it with a 203/205. That will give you more options to do whatever you want with all the gearing you could need in nearly any situation.

Either that or rebuild the 700r4 and use it and the 241 to double the cases.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yeah, if your current tbi350 runs well I would stick with it for now and concentrate on beefing up the trans department with a built th400 and a doubler. Thats probably enough work/$ to last a while. And the gearing options and dependability factor say "all around rig" to me.

Later down the road I would swap the tbi350 for a Gen3-4 LS engine. Blown 454 sounds cool, but when I think about it realistically it just seems like it would break parts, murder fuel, be less reliable, and be a head ache to keep cool / happy on the trail. The LS engines are just where it's at these days.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I say big block is where its at. blown big block with a 400 203/205 combo would be a lot of fun. I would concentrate on what gets you on the trail faster, then concentrate on the fun level. If most of your wheelin doesn't require a doubler, than hold off. You can also install the BB without the 177 for now, and add it later as $$ allows. But set that as your goal, and make it happen.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
x2 for BBC no replacement for displacement:flipoff2:. But you have to figure out what you liked and what you disliked about your previous setup. What I want in a future build (a cab-ed truck with roof, doors and windows) is not what you may want. You also need to know if you want to go fast. That will decide a hole bunch of things (bypass shocks, more power, lighter unsprung weight, etc...) Just try to remember what you really liked about your blazer and what you didn't, that will probably tell you the most.

If it were me 632 aluminum BBC EFI 11:1 full roller, prob make 1000hp and weight in at around 600 lbs.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im all about speed and power, I traded my drag car roller for this k5. Almost put my big compression bbc made for nitrous in it, but I would rather drive it than change plugs all the time. Lol doubler with blown bbc would be bad ass. Oh, I can hear my wife now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Go big block. Because later on your going to wish you had anyways.

454+TH400+203/205

You can do it in stages. Start with stock 454/Th400/205 and then move your way up. Eventually you'll be set and can add that blower and be king of the nieghborhood!

·
Registered
21 Posts
With a blown big block, doubler, big tires, and heavy right foot; I see many broken parts in your future

IMO, for a trail rig, a built & blown big block is just too much. I've been havin a good time for several years with my stock efi 351, and never been short on power, gearing maybe, but not power. We have everything from dirt roads, creek beds, steep mountains, and truck-eating-mud-holes around here. Bigger motor = more time fixing broke shit.

It all depends what you want tho.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I hate to even ask....

What are you using the rig for???....maybe even a location might help ya get some answers to what type of terrain you are building for!!!

:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
I have a mild build 454, th400, 203/205 on tons w/ 5.38s in what was a K5 now a S-10 thing. Rarely I even use all the power on tap and its a heavy setup. I am trying to make a trade for my 454 for a 6.0 to dump some weight and physical engine size. Don't get me wrong though, there are sometimes that HP is alot of fun.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im in central oklahoma. But like I said, I wanna do everything: mud, rivers, trails, climbing, crawling, rocks, creeks, cars, snow and ice if we ever get any. Lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
I personally run a tb1 350 in my k5, and i would personally say go with the doubler right now. I have ran everything from rocks including a trip to Moab, mud, snow, and trails. Put the big block or Ls in later. With the wight of my rig and small HP, it keeps the broken parts to a minum. Feel free to look at my build thread for ideas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts