Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into the Sky Manufacturing or All-Pro Off-Road t-case parking brakes for my 1985 4Runner. My biggest concern is the interference with the fuel lines that arises when the truck has dual transfer cases. I don't have the rear heater lines to worry about, but I'm wondering just how much of a clearance problem there is with the fuel lines, and what you guys have done to get the necessary clearance.

Secondly, has anyone seen both of these parking brake assemblies in person and compared them? Since I've had great past experience with both companies and therefore no preference, I'm curious if there are any meaningful differences in the products that I should take into consideration.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
I'm looking into the Sky Manufacturing or All-Pro Off-Road t-case parking brakes for my 1985 4Runner. My biggest concern is the interference with the fuel lines that arises when the truck has dual transfer cases. I don't have the rear heater lines to worry about, but I'm wondering just how much of a clearance problem there is with the fuel lines, and what you guys have done to get the necessary clearance.

Secondly, has anyone seen both of these parking brake assemblies in person and compared them? Since I've had great past experience with both companies and therefore no preference, I'm curious if there are any meaningful differences in the products that I should take into consideration.

Thanks!
[halloween costume off] I have the allpro and dual cases and didn't have any issues with fuel lines.:confused: [halloween costume on]

Oh yeah, Sirch!

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
:flipoff2: I did. The only messages I found mentioned interference. Those that didn't have interference had pickups instead of 4Runners. Or single cases instead of duals.

Thanks for the info on your truck, though. I appreciate it. :beer:
Never heard that about p/u vs 4runner before. Mine's an 85 4runner just for reference. I did have to remove the rear heat just like everybody else. Also the AllPro worked with my FROR crossmember and I was told the Sky would not.

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using a bent-to-shit BudBuilt crossmember/skidplate, so I'm not worried about clearance issues. If it won't fit with that, I'll MAKE it fit. I just want to minimize my hassles with the fuel lines, and I'm mainly wondering what meaningful differences there are between the two company's brakes.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
I'm using a bent-to-shit BudBuilt crossmember/skidplate, so I'm not worried about clearance issues. If it won't fit with that, I'll MAKE it fit. I just want to minimize my hassles with the fuel lines, and I'm mainly wondering what meaningful differences there are between the two company's brakes.
Sky’s is a want be clone of All-Pros. Basically no difference except it looks like Sky’s mount would hold dirt/mud better then A-P's!!!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I run AllPro's with dual cases. I had to reroute some fuel and tank vent lines (1984 4runner). No big deal tho, and the kit works great :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have the skys, I just tweaked the fuel lines out of the way by hand, nothing major. I did have to cut the floor however..... '85 with duals and skys skid plate...
Same thing here. No body lift. Here are a few pictures of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an 85 Runner, the All-Pro e-brake, dual cases, removed rear heat and an Trail Gear skid plate. I ran the truck for several months like this. Then one day I was out wheeling and put it in low low and turned to the left and heard a grinding sound upon checking it the e-brake rotor was grinding on the fuel line. The fuel lines are now bent. Would be a good idea to bend the lines.

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeez, sounds like more trouble than it's worth, since I can just park my truck in gear and it won't go anywhere at 237:1 compound low.

I was mainly interested in the safety/convenience factor the brake offers, but with the issues with the fuel lines, driveline vibrations, and gaping holes cut into the floor, it sounds like this is more a product for a beater or a Formula Toy.

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have All-Pro's and haven't had any problems, 1in. body lift. And I did have to put a small bend in the fuel lines, really no big deal.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, a body lift would obviously solve the main issue of fitment. But I'm really not interested in a body lift. My truck is already taller than it needs to be.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Never heard that about p/u vs 4runner before. Mine's an 85 4runner just for reference. I did have to remove the rear heat just like everybody else. Also the AllPro worked with my FROR crossmember and I was told the Sky would not.
This is good info to know about having to remove the rear heat. I don't think I've seen this mentioned on either website.

http://www.allprooffroad.com/8489brakeupgrades/33

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=142

I guess they don't mention having to remove the rear heat in a 4Runner because it doesn't get down to 30 below there like it does here. :laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.