Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 awd
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader first time poster checking in. I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section, still trying to figure out what goes where.

Before I ask my question, yes, I used the search function and went through all 18 pages or so of results.

Now, with all that fun stuff out of the way, as the title says I'm building an all wheel drive 64 Fairlane with an NP242. No, I'm not drunk although I have been told I'm insane 馃ぃ

Front axle is going to be out of a first gen Colorado/Canyon so that brings up problem #1. That axle of course is a passenger side drop and the 242 is a driver drop...

Simply flipping the case over will put the oil pickup tube in the wrong spot so I'd have to notch where the pump is to be able to rotate the tube back down. Of course the vents would have to be relocated as well but in the grand scheme of the entire project that's easy.

My worry is is flipping the pump going to be enough or should I run an extra 12v pump?

Next issue with the 242 (or any other case honestly) and the Fairlane is space. The only place the case can really go is under the back seat so it's going to need to be divorced. Obviously a face plate and yoke shaft will need to be made but I haven't been able to work out how to secure the shaft and I'm also worried about relying solely on the input shaft bearing...I feel with the extra length and load it's going to overstress that bearing...or am I just overbuilding at that point?

Final issue I'm seeing is actuation. The case being upside down and divorced will bring about linkage issues. I was toying with cables but was also thinking, and I know this is pretty much the opposite of what everyone else does but converting to electric shift. I know the Hummer case has it but the Hummer loses 2wd which is something I'd really like to keep. Thoughts?

Thanks, Ben

Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
Why not get a Chevy 241? It鈥檚 already passenger front. I believe they were in late square body鈥檚. I would not waste the energy to flip a chain driven transfer case.

Registered
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 awd
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finding a drivers drop front axle would be a lot simpler, faster and easier.
Oh it absolutely would. No doubt about it. Ideally I would be using a T56 with a C5 tailhousing and the 242 hanging off the end of that driving a GM 7.2 IFS but unfortunately I don't have the space for that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts