Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine broke the ujoint in his curry 9" front end. he had the curry "regular" shafts, and it destroyed the inner yoke when it blew. we are wondering if the yoke on the alloy shafts would have held up to this better, basicaly is it worth the extra cash for him to replace it with the alloy..considering the axle shaft is not breaking. thanx

·
Registered
643 Posts
That depends. I have had them hold and was able to change out the joint with out the ears letting loose. But if you are getting it chances are you will have enough momentum going that the yokes are going with the u-joint. I seen that more than being able to change them. But maybe its just the way I drive. That why I just upgraded to the sixty up front as well.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
heres the deal, 130$ for a regular curry inner shaft, 200$ for an alloy one. even if the alloy shaft survives one more busted ujoint, it'd be worth it IMO. if a ujoint blows, while gas is applied(for a second after that), the ears can get busted. will a n alloy shaft be more resistant to that???? worth it?? any first hand experience???thanks ya'll---brad

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have alloy shafts in my D44 front. I have broken 3 joints and the ears have survived. Once I had to clean up the burs with a file but so far so good. With the stock axles I lost a shaft every time I lost the joint.

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
I have busted upwards of 10 ujoints in my alloy shafts. If you STOP immediately and unlock your hub(s), they will laugh. Unless you are FULLY getting it and have too much momentum.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Could some of you please specify which "alloy" you are talking about?

Mosers 1541 modified? Dutchman's 4130? Warn's? Also so what type of hardening - induction, thru, ???

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts