Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my alloy shafts from TRB machine last week and from the pictures you can tell the new shafts don't neck down from the spline diameter. Zerk fittings are easy to access thru an enlarged plug on the outside of knuckle. The "stock " rockwell joint is on the right next to a stock rockwell shaft that has a spl-90 series spicer u-joint that has double seals and grease fittings. The rockwell joints are wide open and always rusted. This might not be a big deal for those out west but in the southeast ,water and mud are always present. Steverockwell pics

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
drool... I'd love some more close-up pics of the splines. Also - what alloy are they, are they still 16 spline?

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
man those shafts look like the shit, how much did those set you back?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jack! Actually that's a Mini Trail 50 that I restored a few years back. I got it new in 1971. I'm looking to trade for older ATV
Shafts are still 16 spline and I'll post the exact alloy after I check with TRB so I don't misquote.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Titanic said:
Thanks Jack! Actually that's a Mini Trail 50 that I restored a few years back. I got it new in 1971. I'm looking to trade for older ATV
Shafts are still 16 spline and I'll post the exact alloy after I check with TRB so I don't misquote.
what are those things worth? I got a 74 in PRIME condition....

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Bling-Bling Steve ;)

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
So I got the idea that rockwells were supposed to be pretty bulletproof, so are alloy shafts REALLY necessary? Or are they just for the bling bling factor?
Scott

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
btt for the day/weekday crew :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Honestly, I hope I never have to consider that as an option! The whole point of me going to Rockwells was to avoid breakage on a regular basis. An axle or 2 a year, I could live with. Needing Alloy rockwell axles seems overkill or just plain brutal on your equipment.

Otherewise, they look sweet as hell.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Do you want to sell your old shafts ?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Honestly, I hope I never have to consider that as an option! The whole point of me going to Rockwells was to avoid breakage on a regular basis. An axle or 2 a year, I could live with. Needing Alloy rockwell axles seems overkill or just plain brutal on your equipment.
Who wants to break once or twice a year when you can break never? Well worth the $, IMO, if your rig has over 300HP and 40+ tires...

You can be an idiot and get away with it...

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
elf_cruiser said:

Who wants to break once or twice a year when you can break never? Well worth the $, IMO, if your rig has over 300HP and 40+ tires...

You can be an idiot and get away with it...
Its all about the BLING, if you got the parts then your cool, thats all its about.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I talked to the guy that runs TRB a while ago, he said they'd be around $800 each side, ballpark. Hopefully Titanic can give us a more accurate number.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
I talked to the guy that runs TRB a while ago, he said they'd be around $800 each side, ballpark. Hopefully Titanic can give us a more accurate number.
hey elf, Todd at TRB qouted me about $800 for everything(inner and outers both sides,the removable yokes and u-joints).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts