Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got my front alloys in and the seals. for the seals, i put blue rtv on them, let them set for over 24 hours, then i drove the jeep. i greaseed it of course. however, today i noticed that the u joint, part of the brake caliper, and knuckle assembly is all like, wet with oil/grease...does anyone know why this would happen?
the seals were flush with the axle tube
thanks

waht i don't understand is, there were no seals there to begin with, so why would gear oil leak when there are seals? i did run it in 4wd a little last night, if that helps..... but like i said, the blue rtv had over a day to cure

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
They are Alloy USA outer seals? Close to the Ujoint...

Might have damaged a inner seal when you were installing the new shafts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yes those are the seals, and yeah i greased everything, but the "goo" sitting in the botton of my steering deal is a mixture of grease and gear oil...

i got them already assembled from northridge, but i threw a little grease on the u joints...how is the right way to do it? thanks

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
only seal i know of is in the diff. WTF is this one shown here? what is this a D30 front axle?

and what ujoint did you buy that you have to pre-grease? CTM?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alloys axle tube seal, rubicon d44, i guess you don't have to pre grease it, there are no zerks or anything. idk, dad said that's its strictly grease, so, idk

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
alloys axle tube seal, rubicon d44, i guess you don't have to pre grease it, there are no zerks or anything. idk, dad said that's its strictly grease, so, idk
ok so you bought some pre-assembled Alloy USA shafts with what 760 Spicer joints?

so that outer axle tube seal with a zerk fitting is just for what, to keep dirt out of the axle tube? i don't get it.

there is an inner seal at the diff. if you banged it hard when inserting the new shaft then you may have buggered it up therefore letting gear oil leak out although now i am thinking that new outer seal you installed should be catching it:confused:

all you really needed to do was pull out the old shafts and gently inserted the new and left off that outer seal gizmo and no need to throw any grease on anything.

there is another possibility that your diff was quite/over filled when you started the work and some oil escaped while pulling the old shafts. then after assembly said oil found it's way out and you are now seeing it.

clean everything up and see if the leak stops.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol i'm confused on how you're confused.

when installing them, took out old, put in new. the new ones slid in effortlessly into the diff. when putting on the unit bearing deal which the rotor mounts to, it took a little presuading by a rubber mallet, but nothing harsh.
the diff was right on the mark with fluid level
http://stu-offroad.com/axle/usaseal/usaseal-1.htm the seal write up

·
Mr. DJ
20,842 Posts
so that outer axle tube seal with a zerk fitting is just for what, to keep dirt out of the axle tube? i don't get it.
the zerk is there to greese the seal. i have the same thing on my Rubicon. mine uzed greese for awhile and dried up.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
lol i'm confused on how you're confused.

when installing them, took out old, put in new. the new ones slid in effortlessly into the diff. when putting on the unit bearing deal which the rotor mounts to, it took a little presuading by a rubber mallet, but nothing harsh.
the diff was right on the mark with fluid level
http://stu-offroad.com/axle/usaseal/usaseal-1.htm the seal write up
ok, i've heard of these outer seals before. i don't step out of the house if rain/mud is in the forecast so they raen't in my vocabulary:flipoff2:

i think the oil came out when you pulled the old shafts like i said before. clean it up and run it:smokin:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
the zerk is there to greese the seal. i have the same thing on my Rubicon. mine uzed greese for awhile and dried up.
yeah i know what the zerk fitting is for, was just wondering WHY that whole outer seal gizmo anyway:laughing:

guess it could be handy if you ran in the water and mud a lot which i never do.

·
Mr. DJ
20,842 Posts
ok, i've heard of these outer seals before. i don't step out of the house if rain/mud is in the forecast so they raen't in my vocabulary:flipoff2:

i think the oil came out when you pulled the old shafts like i said before. clean it up and run it:smokin:
what's that?:confused::laughing:

mine are to keep sand out.:smokin:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there was oil that came out on the driver (short) side, but nothing on the pass. side. i'll check it again before we go wheeling, and go from there i guess.
btw i hate mud

·
Registered
704 Posts
I wouldn't think it'd be that big of a deal anyway...many axles use wet tubes, as long as you cleaned the tubes out before installing the seals and make sure the diff has enough fluid, you'll be fine. I am running the same seals, and I pressed a seal into the outer tube on my HP 30 on the passenger side and between the two, hopefully they will keep the axle from leaking.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i know, but it's the idea that it didn't leak w/o seals, and with seals it does. approximately how hard would you have to press to ruin a inner axle seal? when i put it in, if it didn't slide right in, i turned it till it did, i'd say no more than, 2 pounds of push....

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Your rig was parked on a hill? I say oil leaked from Diff when you pulled the axle.. check level in diff, run it, wash it, call it good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts