Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, i searched. the 300 seconds kills me. where can i find some opinions/fact/information about superior vs. alloy usa for a rubicon dana 44. thanks

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Superiors seem to be stronger but are more expensive and can sometimes be a pain to find in stock or get replacements for. My experience has been limited to older half-ton truck frontends, so maybe the newer Rubicon axles will be easier to get Superior shafts for...

Most people seem to be generally satified with AlloyUSA shafts so I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

FWIW, I have a mixture of Yukon 4340 and AlloyUSA shafts in my new rear 60. Time will tell if they hold up.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
One more thing... You can search pireate4x4 through google to not have to wait on the search timer. Or just buck up and buy a red star. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
uh... what is it like $20 for a red star? umm.... worth it

I have heard that Superior is a USA made product and Alloy USA is NOT, ironic but can anyone clarify this? (not that strength would be different, just a lil side fact)

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
uh... what is it like $20 for a red star? umm.... worth it

I have heard that Superior is a USA made product and Alloy USA is NOT, ironic but can anyone clarify this? (not that strength would be different, just a lil side fact)
Alloy and Yukon are both made in India. This question has been asked a million times on this board. You really have to prioritize what you're looking for. Superior, Alloy, and Yukon are all great products. Yukon is considerably larger and sells many times as many shafts as the others, so consequently you tend to hear of more issues. The advantage to Yukon is they are ALWAYS in stock and their warranty is great. Superior has a fantastic reputation, but I've never run them because I hear horror stories of back orders on warranty issues. That doesn't work for me as I wheel typically 1 or 2 days a week, and I'm definately not willing to wait months for my replacement! Alloy seems to be in the middle as far as reputation and "in stock" issues. .02

·
Registered
320 Posts
I spoke with a rep at alloy usa and I asked if the warrenty was as good as everyone says. He said do anything you want with the shafts besides weld them and they will replace them no questions asked. I asked him if I could have the shafts cryo treated and then run 49in iroks on them and he said no problem we'll just keep sending them.

I haven't heard to much (good or bad) about superiors warrenty and I wouldn't touch yukon shafts. Simply because the warrenty is only good for the first replacement, after that they will replace or refund at their discretion. And if I'm not mistaken Bobby Long tested Yukon shafts on his axle machine the yukons were about the same strength as stock axles.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i broke 2 yukons. 1 superior.superior sucked trying to get it warrantied.ended up talking to the owner of the company before it was handled.yukons were no questions asked...i know have a 60 and have not broke yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I spoke with a rep at alloy usa and I asked if the warrenty was as good as everyone says. He said do anything you want with the shafts besides weld them and they will replace them no questions asked. I asked him if I could have the shafts cryo treated and then run 49in iroks on them and he said no problem we'll just keep sending them.

I haven't heard to much (good or bad) about superiors warrenty and I wouldn't touch yukon shafts. Simply because the warrenty is only good for the first replacement, after that they will replace or refund at their discretion. And if I'm not mistaken Bobby Long tested Yukon shafts on his axle machine the yukons were about the same strength as stock axles.
WOW... you just sold me on the Alloy USA, can't beat that warranty:eek:

·
Registered
879 Posts
ALLOY hands down. I was wheeling with my buddy the other day who broke a superior dana 44 shaft(30spl not a rubicon axle) that was less than a month old running only 35'' tires and he was not even on the throttle. And it was NOT the U-joint that went out the CTM was perfect the shaft just blew up. That was enough for me to never buy superior.

·
Registered
245 Posts
ALLOY hands down. I was wheeling with my buddy the other day who broke a superior dana 44 shaft(30spl not a rubicon axle) that was less than a month old running only 35'' tires and he was not even on the throttle. And it was NOT the U-joint that went out the CTM was perfect the shaft just blew up. That was enough for me to never buy superior.
Yeah, i also saw something once and made my mind up assuming that isolated incident was totally representative of the whole situation....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, i also saw something once and made my mind up assuming that isolated incident was totally representative of the whole situation....
Maybe he is jumping the gun a little but if the only experience you had with them was bad would they be your first choice?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts