Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use the 4"Allpro springs and run 35" tires? Do the stock length have enough travel? I have a 84 4runner (stock), will use chevy rears. I have a set of 33's to go on now till they go bald and then 35". The rear springs will be set-up to match front. If I have to, I will then go body lift.

I dont see how dropping the front hanger will move the axle forward as I have read. The Allpro springs are suppose to move the axle 1". I think w/ stock hanger I can easily run 33's. Then when 35's go on, drop front hanger and adjust rear leaf spring shackle and hanger to match.

Before anyone screams SEARCH, I have been lurking for 3 months ( thats how long I've had the Runner) and read countless pages. I'm just looking for a little clarity.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
the center pin on allpro springs is set farther forward from the factory, however it greatly differs from the 1.5'' they advertise depending on the spring. theyre hanger and 4'' 'longer than stock' springs move the axle forward ~an inch but the 3'' lift spring does nearly nothing to axle position and gives you a near vertical shackle on both theyre SAS kit and factory solid axle vehicles...

if you run the 4'' 'longer' springs, hanger ears forward and drill the perch an 1 3/8 off, you should be in good shape. i ran this on a previous rig and liked it, youll have to mount your ifs/hysteer way forward to clear...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
FWIW, my AP 4" springs are kinda funky. From the front eye to center pin, they are almost flat. not parallel to the ground, but straight. BUT from the center pin back, they have a very pronounced arch. All this makes for extra bad caster and a pinion nearly prallel with the ground. I look forward to ditching them.

And as long as the axle is located far enough forward, 35s will work fine.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AlaskaToy said:
FWIW, my AP 4" springs are kinda funky. From the front eye to center pin, they are almost flat. not parallel to the ground, but straight. BUT from the center pin back, they have a very pronounced arch. All this makes for extra bad caster and a pinion nearly prallel with the ground. .

Do you have the 4' stock length or the long travel longer springs?

Aren't the pinions parallel from the factory? If so then caster shouldn't be affected.

To use the "longer" springs dont I have to move shackle a little further back on the frame or use a longer shackle?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
TATER said:

Aren't the pinions parallel from the factory? If so then caster shouldn't be affected.

To use the "longer" springs dont I have to move shackle a little further back on the frame or use a longer shackle?
Long ones.

No, pinion points toward the tcase. Any time you rotate the axle caster is affected.

No, the longer springs are supposed to be used with the AP front hanger w/ the mounts lfipped forward.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
TATER said:

No you don't need to move the shackle back, The longer springs will work just fine with your stock front hangers. The pin is moved forward on these springs 1" from stock. This will slightly change the caster but very little. Longer shackles will make more of a change in the caster than the spring will.

The 1.5" forward is assuming you use the AP hanger with the springs. The hanger moves the spring mounts forward 1/2" when the ears are forward.

35" will fit no problem with these springs and stock hangers. You will need to hammer the firewall seam down flat and remove the inner plastic fender well. Slight reshaping of the lower fender with a hange grinder will also be needed.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
if you dont need to move the shackle, and you can use the stock hanger, how can you fit a longer spring? how much longer?:confused: just get a longer shackle? how long? sorry about the newbie post but im confused now. i was thinking of getting the stock length 4" springs myself.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
tanman2003 said:
if you dont need to move the shackle, and you can use the stock hanger, how can you fit a longer spring? how much longer?:confused: just get a longer shackle? how long? sorry about the newbie post but im confused now. i was thinking of getting the stock length 4" springs myself.
It comes down to how you measure the spring. The 1.5" longer springs are 1.5" longer than stock springs, but they also have more arch than a stock spring. Think about it like this. If you had a 12" lift spring that fit into a stock set of hangers the lift spring would be much longer than a stock spring to make the needed arch of such a tall spring.

All Pro springs were designed based on a solid axle swap with the shackle mount tubes 1/2" forward as compared to a 84-85 rig.

So on a SAS with the All Pro kit, you move the front hangers forward 1/2" and you move the rear shackles 1/2" forward. With this combination the "longer" spring fit perfectly and result in a decent shackle angle.

Now on an 85 if you use the front hanger with the ears forward and kept the shackles in the stock location you end up with a nearly vertical shackle.

If you run the "longer" springs with the stock front hangers and 1" to 1.5" longer shackles your going to find it results in a nice shackle angle of about 20 degrees back.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
oh since the springs move the axle forward will i have to get crossover steering immiediatly to do some offroading? i will get one, just not right now.:confused:

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Chris Geiger said:
If you run the "longer" springs with the stock front hangers and 1" to 1.5" longer shackles your going to find it results in a nice shackle angle of about 20 degrees back.
Could you use a stock length shackle with the "longer" springs and factory hanger? Or would the spring hit the frame at the shackle-end when compressed?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what tweaks me about spring mesurements. A longer spring TO ME means longer eye-to-eye . Can you say chevy rears? A lifted spring means same eye-to-eye but taller.

Ah, fawk it. I'm gonna find LONGER rears for upfront or get 44044's. I need a wider rear axle for a REAL 4Runner anyway Might as well get the springs too. At least someone has measured the ranchos and posted it in th FAQ's. Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
....but the 3'' lift spring does nearly nothing to axle position and gives you a near vertical shackle on both theyre SAS kit and factory solid axle vehicles...
My experience with the 3" A/P spring is the my axle is moved at least 2" forward over stock. To the point where I had to run a shorter pitman arm or relocate the steering box. My shackle angle isn't quite vertical, but it's not optimal either.

I do have the A/P front hanger mounted for longer than stock springs, which explains the shackle angle as these are stock length springs. As for moving the axle forward, the hanger only accounts for moving the axle 1/2" accorder to Gieger.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
just saying, if i got the stock length 4" spring, and used my stock 85 hanger and shackle, the shakle angle should not be vertical, but towards the back, becuase under weight the spring should compress a little, therefore lengthining it pushing the shackle towards the rear right? becuse the length eye to eye is the same stock and lifted, uncompressed. but the lifted spring is overall longer to make up for the arc.would my caster be messed up big time? sorry for the newbie questions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts