Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waould like to know if anyone can tell me exactly how much shorter the Sky arms are than the AllPro arms. Or maybe some one with the newest Sky arms could chime-in with a measurement? Specifically, center to tierod hole and center to end.

Pitman arm/tie rod clearance is the limiting factor for moving the axle forward. Shorter arms w/ shorter pitman would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts

These arms are his Stage 5 ones and they are 6 5/8" from the center of the king pin to the drag link hole. The King pin to Tie rod hole is 4 1/2".

"I think" - The reason why Sky changes his arms is because he's not affraid of a little inovation. Hes just trying to make them better with each design.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Looks like he is cutting cost. The previous versions look like they had a lot of cool machining (read this as mill time$$$ and cutter wear$$$) The new ones look like some of the coolness $$$$$ has been eliminated and he made a functional part that he can make money on.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
the all pro short arm(driverside) is right about 5" from the center of the kinpin area to center on the tierod hole...that 1/2" is pretty much all youll need to make rears boltin...

all pro arms and springs, axle 1.5" forward. toy rears and sky arms, axle 2" forward....i think i just found my setup for the dailydriver SAS...somebody double checck this on a vehicle and make sure:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was told that the new stage fives have the two holes offset as compared to the old style that have the two holes in line. The offset I guess helps the steering return to center better. And yes there shorter than the old ones .;)

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
kbud said:
Yep, the two holes are offset about 1/4".
Stage 5 arms are the first to have the tierod holes offest. Its actually 5/8" off the center line of the steering arm. And it for Ackerman angle. If you don't know what that is, just search. From my understanding, the caster angle is what actually returns the wheel to "center" or straight forward.

{edit} I wrote the wrong one the first time( caster/camber), Drew thanks for correcting me. I knew what I meant. It just came out wrong.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ackerman angle keeps your tires from scrubbing when you make a tight turn in the parking lot (inner tire is turned more to account for the tighter turning radius). Not really that big a deal on an off-road truck.

Caster angle gives straight line tracking and return to center. (Think about a motorcycle fork: the stanchions actually point to a spot a foot or so in front of where the tire touches the ground, so it works somewhat similar to the front wheels on a shopping cart.)

Camber has more to do with the tire contact patch, especially when turning at speed. (Look at the rear wheels on a BMW.)

If drag-link to tie-rod interference wasn't an issue, I'd want the steering arms to be as long as possible (within reason of course). The longer the arm the less stress on the tie rod ends / tie rod, and wheel alignment would be more precise. Just think about how sloppy the steering would be if the arms were only an inch long, and you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
THE COMPLETE SCOOP

I've had my new stage 5 sky arms for a few weeks now, sitting in my garage getting paint and waiting to replace my AllPro arms. I haven't had time to put them in since I've been playing Mr. Mom for our new baby boy.

Today, I wanted to double check some of the comparison measurements. Center pin to tie rod hole is about 4.5", about 1/2" shorter than the APs. Good for tie rod/pitman arm clearance. Now for the "BUT"; the height difference is not in Sky's favor. The APs are 2" tall measured from the knuckle mating surface to the top of the arm where the FJ80 TRE fits. The Skys are a very disappointing 1 7/16". I can almost garantee they will not clear my 4" AP springs.:mad: My bad for not getting those numbers first.:(

Anyway, now I know, and so do you all. APs are longer by 1/2" but they are taller by that much too. I guess it's time to move my steering box forward.:emb4:

Anyone who has the stage 5 arms and they work (not rubbing the tie rod all over the spings at full-lock turns and and full droop) let me/us know what springs you are running, please.

·
Registered
535 Posts
the other difference between the kits is that all-pro's tie rod and draglink are not as think as sky's..

sky and marlin use a .250 wall DOM tubing..

i'm not sure of the exact size of all-pro's but it's noticably thinner..

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
penguinofdoom said:
the other difference between the kits is that all-pro's tie rod and draglink are not as think as sky's..

sky and marlin use a .250 wall DOM tubing..

i'm not sure of the exact size of all-pro's but it's noticably thinner..
Well that make clearance issues even worse then, doesn't it. Fatter tie rods and lower arms = Mucho clearance issues!

·
Registered
535 Posts
yea, having a thicker tie-rod does make a little less clearance room, but i think most people would say it's worth the loss... I'd really rather not bend my tie-rod

besides, its an ~ 1/8 of an inch loss at most.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.