Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the yota in reverse in the parking lott at work, went to back up, and then this. Any other things like this happen from the allpro truss? The front end was under no pressure at all..

Attachments

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
ugh....looks worse in a big picture :(

To clarify for the folks:

That is the axle truss from All-Pro's Taco Supreme kit. The DS lower link has one weld across the horizontal edge, then bolts (via the joint thru bolt) to the vertical edge in the middle of the pic.

I had reinforced the horizontal plane, with 3/16" plate and rosette welds, due to concerns over something like this happening.

If anyone is in northern AL/Southern TN, and could give Brock a hand, I would greatly appreciate it. He doesn't have access to a welder, and I don't want him to get raped by a shop.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You think it looks bad in the big pic, you should see it in person:( the panhard bar is the only thing that kept the axle from rolling right out from under the front of the truck.:(

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
oh? i cant really tell whattheheck is going on by that pic?? seems like a few welds broke??
I wish I had a before picture, but yea, the main weld (angled butt) looks to have torn free. I got it the way it was set up, then tried to make it stronger until I moved the upper link off the pumpkin, and over to the PS axle tube. That would have freed up space on the DS tube to make a link bracket with 2 solid welds to the tube, rather than a weld and a bolt.

Unfortunately, this happened. Luckily it didn't happen on the road. She just made a 650mi. trip from my house to Brock's, doing 80 on the highway. Thank God this didn't get either of us in that position!:eek:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I can't see anything but booger welds. I can't see enough of anything else to try to judge whether the design was poor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Allpro has some quality stuff. It is possible it could have been weakened by some offroad trips and finally just broke off. Could be weld quality or other numerous things. I bet you are glad it didnt let go on the highway!! luckily no one got hurt.

·
El Presidente
6,519 Posts
This is from our website :

Being the innovators of the solid axle swap kit for the 86-95 Toyota Trucks and 4Runners, All-Pro Off Road has now developed a solid axle conversion kit for Toyota Tacomas using coil-overs and a 3-link system with a panhard. Our kit's components are designed to work with our Hybrid Dana 60 front axle. If you are using a Diamond Axle, or a Grand Wagoneer Dana 44 front axle it will take additional modification to make work. Please note that we cannot support technical information on anything other than our Dana 60 hybrid axle. This kit is now available! Look for the full feature article on the 'Taco Supreme' in the July '06 issue of Off-Road Magazine

You also mentioned it was "installed/MODIFIED" . Just wondering what "modification" was done to it .

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
It sound to me like the truss he has was one of the early ones that were built for the Waggie 44. There were a few of those sold to guys around the country before Terry and Jon decided that they would only offer the kit and tech advice for the Hybrid axle. I can't blame them though. The amount of calls they would get from guys using random axles and then blaming All-Pro for lack of fitting was comical.

It appears that fatigue was the likely failure in this case though. Based on the pics it looks like there is some tearing behind the welds.

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
It sound to me like the truss he has was one of the early ones that were built for the Waggie 44. There were a few of those sold to guys around the country before Terry and Jon decided that they would only offer the kit and tech advice for the Hybrid axle. I can't blame them though. The amount of calls they would get from guys using random axles and then blaming All-Pro for lack of fitting was comical.

It appears that fatigue was the likely failure in this case though. Based on the pics it looks like there is some tearing behind the welds.
It was one of the first kits sold by All-Pro. The main problem is that the DS lower link was only supported by the top weld (to the pumpkin truss) and a bolt on contraption across the pinion area (also an All-Pro design). There were only 2 planes that were there to support the lower link mount. Poor design IMHO.

I had planned on ditching the entire truss/lower, to move the upper to the PS tube and place a new lower link mount on the DS tube, but traded the taco before then.

With all that being said. I like All-Pro, this was just an early version of the kit that did not have all the bugs worked out. The tube doors, front bumper, and sliders all came from their shop. It is hard to make a 3 link kit that fits perfectly (or impossible) and that is an accepted fact.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts