Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are they one in the same? same spring rating and aprox same lift . and who makes allpros leafs I know who makes 44044's... I am just trying to decide between them they run around the same price as well

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Just as an FYI for ya, the 4" long travel springs, in the stock location, move the axle 3/8" forward, plus are something like an extra 7/8" longer. They are the way i plan on going, with my 2" lift shackle (will give me aprox 1" of lift at around 60°), and re-drilling my spring mounts to move the axle another 1" forward. I think that will give me my desired suspension. Now where did all my money go :flipoff2:

Garrett

·
Registered
446 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get the AP stock-length springs. They are too short and you'll end up with a shackle angle of ~90*. I would only buy the "long-travel" AP springs and run them in the stock mounts to get a normal shackle angle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
just a little info about moving your spring pin to the back hole of the perch, from 1st hand experience from doing that, I have broken 2 sets of springs, why you ask? the hole in the spring creates a weak spot and when moved out close to the edge of the perch the spring flexes to close to the hole. just my 2 cents. has anyone had this problem?

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I've ridden in a truck with the stock length 5 in. springs, and they were a little stiff. I would give the 44044's a shot. I plan on redoing my front suspension next summer, and when I do, I will probably go with some 44044's. There's just so much good stuff written about them on here, it's worth a try.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 44044's and the allpro are the same spring rate I would think that they would ride similar

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Chrisf said:
the 44044's and the allpro are the same spring rate I would think that they would ride similar
Only problem is that the all pro springs are shorter, and with that, you get about a 90° shackle angle. that angle transmits ALOT more bumps and jolts into the truck than a shackle that is laid back some. Also when the shackle is laid back, it allows more droop, and the spring has more leverage on the shackle, thus a better ride. But i am sure you already knew that.

Garrett

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am a little confused here. I thought you had to use a drop spring front hanger in order for the 5 ap to work. Do you have to use a drop hanger for the 44044s. No I don't know what to get. I want to try to use the stock shackle position with a longer shackle if that is possible. I guess I need to do some more research with the search button.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Hey hick,
I know that I am in danger of a serious flaming here, but I looked at the picture in one of the threads showing the dimensions of the 44044's, and it looked like they were shorter than the stock length springs (by just a hair, 1.37 inches I think). If that were the case, and the allpro's are the stock length, wouldn'1 the allpro's actually be a little longer than the 44044's? Ok I've said it, flame away.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I dont flame, i give direction.
http://www.4x4spot.com/miscelan.htm

Stock length springs are 45"
44044's are 47"
all pros are 46.5-stock length, 47.5 long travel (mount moved 1.5" forward)

You can run long travel springs in the stock location, just need to watch the position of the center pin. the APOR hanger moves the axle forward, and only .5" down (.25" lift). So drop is neglegable.

that said, i still think i want to run 4" long travel springs in the stock location, unless i start running into firewall clearence problems.

Garrett

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hick said:
I dont flame, i give direction.
http://www.4x4spot.com/miscelan.htm

Stock length springs are 45"
44044's are 47"
all pros are 46.5-stock length, 47.5 long travel (mount moved 1.5" forward)

You can run long travel springs in the stock location, just need to watch the position of the center pin. the APOR hanger moves the axle forward, and only .5" down (.25" lift). So drop is neglegable.

that said, i still think i want to run 4" long travel springs in the stock location, unless i start running into firewall clearence problems.

Garrett
You need to look at eye to eye length not the over all length of the spring. over all length follows the arch of the spring, not the location of the shackle. the 44044's have more arch than the allpros would be my guess.... we need on of the allpro team to respond to this and answer all the questions

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Chrisf said:

You need to look at eye to eye length not the over all length of the spring. over all length follows the arch of the spring, not the location of the shackle. the 44044's have more arch than the allpros would be my guess.... we need on of the allpro team to respond to this and answer all the questions
your right. Also i want to know why all pro seems to like to design the springs so the shackle is at 90°.

Any reason?

Garrett

·
Registered
416 Posts
I run 44044 with a sas drop hangar and 5 inch eye to eye shackle
my buddy runs 5 inch stock length AP's with a stock 85 front hangar and 5 inch eye to eye shackles.
both ride very close to the same,so close I can't tell the difference.
both flex somewhat the same with my having more compression(his shackle hits the frame,he uses bent shackles where mine are spacer type shackles)
we both use the same shocks(9012's,ford towers)
his tends to lean to the right,was lopsided from day one(springs are now 2 years old)which is the only reason I would go 44044's,unless AP's are on special or way cheaper and your fingers are crossed that you will get a good set.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Can you run the 44044s with a drop hanger similar to APs and longer shackles in the stock shackle position or is it better to mover the shackle position. This is on an 85. I keep hearing all different things. One moment I got is figured out then I hear other.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Can you run the 44044s with a drop hanger similar to APs and longer shackles in the stock shackle position or is it better to mover the shackle position. This is on an 85. I keep hearing all different things. One moment I got is figured out then I hear other.
Yes, you can run the 44044's with a drop hanger (i would not recommend this due to too much lift) or you can run them in the stock front hanger with some minor trimming of the spring bushing. I recommend a 2 1/2" rear shackle in the stock postion (Performance Products make a really nice bent style for about $40.00, I highly recommend them.) If you use 44044's with the drop you will get 5" of lift plus the amount of the dropped hanger. 44044's in the stock postion with a 2 1/2" rear shackle nets you about 5 1/2" of lift on a 85 w/ 22r this is PLENTY for 35's with no trimming at all. You can do 37's with some minor trimming. You also have to weld a spacer on the drivers side spring perch (85 yota axle) in order to level out the ride. I used a 3/8' plate that did the trick perfect.

You should also run bumpstops no matter what springs you have to make them last.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ben Holloway said:
i run 44044s with one leaf gone, i love them, ive got it setup so my uptravel aint much but they sure droop nicely

Ben

how much lift? how much drop hanger? and how long of shackle?, also what engine? thanx.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hick said:

your right. Also i want to know why all pro seems to like to design the springs so the shackle is at 90°.

Any reason?

Garrett
I've asked this question numerous times and Chris G. always seems to "run-and-hide" instead of giving an answer. If a longer leaf spring will flex better, then why not make the springs long enough to at least give some shackle angle...wouldn't that also improve flex?:rolleyes: I have seen Chris post that Jon Bundrant(owner of AP) prefers a 90* shackle angle front and rear, so that's what they "recomend". When I ordered my rear springs from AP I asked Chris a couple times if I HAD to move the rear shackle hanger back to get the springs to work, and he said it HAS to be moved back. Well, we didn't move it and I got a perfect 40* shackle angle.:rolleyes:

I am starting to think that they just have a problem with their springs being too short and it will cost too much to change them to a slightly longer design.:shaking:

BTW - Notice how Chris G. hasn't responded to this thread so far...even though it has All-Pro in the subject.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Ben Holloway said:
i run 44044s with one leaf gone, i love them, ive got it setup so my uptravel aint much but they sure droop nicely

Ben
Same setup here. I removed my bottom leaf. Might remove another this time around

1.5" drop hanger and 1.5" lift shackles. No clue on how much lift, but it clears 37's just fine and droops better than my rear 5" AP's IMO.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i ran allpros 4" "longer leafs" in the front with there spring hanger mounted out as per instructions and they had a great shackle angle and flexed as good as any. when i went to the 3" "longer" springs is when i had a steep shackle. i finally took out the tape measure when i was cutting the springs up to make some homemade packs... ....to find they where about 1/3" longer than stockers...

i think the reduced arch in the spring warranted the shorter leaf, but they missed it by an inch or two...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts