Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, I have everything worked out but the steering. Everything else can be done on the cheap. I am not able to wheel for reasons I dont care to discuss for the next few months anyway and dont have the money right now to spend on high steer arms at the moment. Would the stock toyota steering from a pre 86 work for daily driver that wouldnt wheel for a couple months if I only lifted it 3 or 4" over stock? I plan on doing highsteer later, but dont really have the money now, or the need for a bad ass steering system. The purpose for this as of now is a daily driver and will be until mid summer when I get some cash flow. What are my options on steering without spending $240 on arms, and then $29x4 for TREs and around $80 more for tie rod and drag link. Are there any cheaper routes that would work fine for normal use? I have always seen everyone do highsteer or at least crossover when swapping to straight axle, but is it mechanically necessary? What about a custom crossover arm setup like I have seen you all running, how did you do it? And for how much $$$? Are there any pitman arms that just happen to fit on the IFS box that would work so I dont have to have someone remachine the IFS pitman arm?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is the last obstacle I need to figure out before I start on the swap.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am 17, dont need a fawkin credit card

·
Registered
801 Posts
Maybe I missed it but, have you started the SAS, are you in the middle of SAS or are you about done with it and just don't have the steering done yet??

Find a stock tie-rod from a '79-'85 front end, find someone selling a used passenger side regular cross-over setup, find a drag link for cheap(make it since you're doing the SAS yourself). Should be about it other than pitman arm issues that might come up.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
it will be more trouble than its worth. you have to get a steering box ... $50, then a drag link $25-50, then tierod $10-20 plus the fab time to do it now and then to switch later. save your money do it right the first time. why not wait to do the swap till you have more money? check in the for sale section ... their is a guy selling arms for 175 to your door. trailtoy is his name if i remember correctly. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117539 theirs the thread. so that saves you $75+shipping. FOR SALE SECTION ... you can fin all kinds of stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts