Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a funky problem with my wipers that started Monday.

Turn the ignition to start but don't start the engine - wipers go back and forth no matter what the switch is set to at a constant speed.

Start engine - wipers go back and forth no matter what the switch is set to at a constant speed.

Kill engine and put the ignition back in the on position - wipers work as they are suppose to.

I can't do the continuity test on the switch that the Haynes suggests because my switch is different that what it shows. Anyone have a test for my unit? Any ideas where to start looking, I hate electrical problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay gathering more info.

Here is what I see coming to the motor:

Switching Working Correctly High. Engine off, ignition set to ON
1. 11.89v
2. 12.00v
3. 12.00v
4. 0v
5 .07v

Switch Working Correctly Low. Engine off, ignition set to ON
1. 11.27v
2. 12.01v
3. .07v
4. 0v
5. 12

Switch Working turned off. Engine off, ignition set to ON
1. .019v
2. 12.01v
3. .03v
4. 0v
5. .03v

Switch Not working correctly off wipers running and should not be. Engine running.
1. 13.8v
2. 13.97v
3. .06v
4. 0
5. 13.97

Not working correctly switch set to high. Engine running.
1. 13.7v
2. 13.9v
3. 13.9v
4. 0v
5. .07v

I understand the difference between the 12v and 13v readings is having the alternator running.

So in theory its like this?

1. Don't know what this does but getting power here when I should not.
2. For some reason this always has 12+ voltage
3. Power for fast wiper
4. Ground
5. Power for slow wiper

Attachments

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Found a wiring diagram and scanned it in, but I can't understand why there is extra voltage there when the truck is running and the switch is set to off. This is for a 97 mine is a 99 but so far everything looks right.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was able test the motor and it seems to be correct. Did find something odd out, no matter what after 20 seconds of when they should not be running the wipers stop and then the switch works correctly. Funky! I am thinking about swapping out the switch now, and now that I know it will just run for 20 seconds I can live with that till I find one in the local yard.

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
sounds almost like a relay is not opening until it gets hot. did you say if it matters which position the switch is in?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds almost like a relay is not opening until it gets hot. did you say if it matters which position the switch is in?
When I started this I thought it did, but it does not appear to be the case. It was more an issue with the time the circuit has power than what position the ignition happens to be. I like your idea but I don't see any relay's in the circuit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts