Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Haven’t been up to much on the jeep. We are, however, planning a Rubicon trip in a couple weekends. It’s gonna be lit.

I decided to go with a 15 cubic foot rooftop bag for this trip and from now on. That way I can get all my soft light stuff up high and keep all my heavy pokey stuff in the tub. I will also be relocating my cooler and gas can from above the spare tire to the tub. I’ll still have the cooler rack as an option, but the cooler, gas, heavy spare and my swing out tools are overloading my swingout. The spindle is fine, but bumper itself is trying to pull off my frame when I get to bouncing. I could fix it but imma do a stinger style soon anyway.

To mount the bag on my roll bar. I’m going to weld loops to the inside of the top hoop of the cage. Then weave a 30’ x 2” wide ratchet strap through the loops to for a hammock. I’ll tighten the strap, and the bag can sit on top of the strap and secure to the cage.

Here are the loops I started making tonight. Some need extra trimming, but it’s a good start.

IMG_6151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Well my babysitter fell through, so we took the whole family in two cars to slick rock. The wife and youngest camped while me and the oldest went crawling with my buddy and his wife. It was epic. Slick rock is way harder with the reroute and it’s so much more fun. All we took was video basically, so I’ll have to link some later.

I really quickly made an oil pan skid plate since I’m running a truck LS Pan. Good thing I did it. I hit that skid once pretty decent.

Edit: tried to post pics and it wasn’t working. Lame

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Here’s what I did with the metal loops I showed earlier. This will be a solid platform for my rooftop bag.

IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6371.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Here’s my oil pan skid plate.

IMG_6376.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

This is a picture of me being happy I made the skid plate BEFORE my slickrock trip.

IMG_6378.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
I have two major things to fix before the Con in a few weeks.

I keep dropping my driveline, and it’s getting pretty beat up. I’m going to buy the super long travel woody. The driveline snaps upward and binds when it pulls out, then it grinds the splines together. I had to file the goobers off the shaft to shove it back in. Time to fix that.

IMG_6379.jpg

I also had some jacked up noises during severe breaking. Found the source. Need to fix that for sure.

IMG_6380.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Felt like a real fabricator after this fix. Cut out the portions of my girdle that contacted the driveline. Then played the hole.

IMG_6456.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I got sick of dealing with the baby sitter plans falling through for my Rubicon trip this summer, so I sold my truck and bought a family crawler. The super duty axles will go to this build. I will start a thread on the dodge forum in pirate. It’ll be called the “Dreadnought”

IMG_6462.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
New DS for the CJ. I don’t think I’ll be dropping any more drive shafts. Heehee.

CB862184-D18B-442A-B685-01A0BD82F33F.jpg

AC0D9CAF-3042-4F9C-9F99-E917FA264E88.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #195

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #196

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Here’s a video of the entire Rubicon trail from loon lake to observation point. I sped it up 6 times normal and it’s still an hour long.

https://youtu.be/vp_Bym2BuYA

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Here’s an attempt at posting a screenshot of a video. Hopefully that’s small enough for the forum.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Third and final part of our Rubicon trip. Enjoy!

Spoiler alert: I bend a wheel

181 - 200 of 226 Posts