Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally decided to to buy my new truck:

I'm currently driving a 96 PSD. I bought this to see if it would be worth it to get a diesel or if i was just jerking off! Needles to say it was worth it! Now that i'm hooked, i want to upgrade to something that rides nicer and runs quieter! Everyone i've talked to says Duramax is the way to go, plus i'm a born bread Chevy man!

I have heard about some problems with the Duramax's over-heating problems, what years was this a problem? What times did this problem occur?(towing 15000 lbs. in dessert or driving empty down the interstate?) I want to leave the truck fairly stock, maybe straight pipe and intake, thats it! Will anything like that hurt mileage, longevity, or performance of the Duramax? I'm looking between 2000 and 2003 model trucks... newer if i can get it, but i want to get lower mileage on the truck? What temps. do the trans run at? Can i do a tranny flush and filter on a higher mileage, like 100,xxx to 120,xxx miles on it and not hurt the trans? What gear ratios are you guys running? and what kind of fuel mileage are you getting with them? What does the tow package include? Basically guys i'm looking for anything and everything that one could possible want to know when buying a $25,000 truck! Anything you guys can possibly provide for me would be most appreciated! Thanks to any of you who respond.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The 2000-eairly 2004's have the LB7, the only issue is the injectors. Late 2004.5 through 2006 is the LLY, and they have a random issue with overheating. It pretty much effects milage and power at random times. There is no real fix that I know of for the over heating issues, but not all trucks suffer with it.

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
I have an 05' LLY and have no issues at all.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
The 2000-eairly 2004's have the LB7, the only issue is the injectors. Late 2004.5 through 2006 is the LLY, and they have a random issue with overheating. It pretty much effects milage and power at random times. There is no real fix that I know of for the over heating issues, but not all trucks suffer with it.
The overheating LLYs are the '04.5 and the '05s. The '06 LLY is an LBZ in every way, shape and form except for the computer. The '06 and up Duramaxes also have the 6-speed transmissions.

As far as the overheating issues, it's when you're towing something with high wind resistance IIRC. Check out dieselplace.com for more info on everything Duramax related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts