Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring (2000) I sold my 1982 Toy 4x4 to a guy who just blew the motor in it. He bought another long block from Napa (ouch! that hurts). He is now having problems with the alternator since he installed the new motor. He told me that it was draining the battery when the motor is running. If he turns the truck off, then the meter shows that the voltage of the battery goes back up. He said the alternator tested fine. He is questioning some of the wiring, because he said that the color codes do not match up to the manual. I have not been able to physically look at his setup, because he is 70 miles away. Any ideas? TIA

Jeremy

·
Registered
71 Posts
it shure sounds like the alternator or the regulator. one quick check to see if the field is getting pwr. is to turn the key to on position and see if the pully shaft is magnetized; that will tell you that the field in the alt. is getting some pwr.(just use a screwdriver for the magnet trick). if its magnetized then check the field lead for batt. voltage, if its anything less than what the batt. is than its the regulator. if its batt. voltage than the alt. is bad.
just ask if you have problems and make shure the batt. is ok

polar

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Its possable that if it sat for a while, got some moisture in the brush's surface where it rides on the armature, the alt will not work.. nice thing is, you can easily fix it, can get brushes(like $4) and solderthem in and polish up the armature

1 - 3 of 3 Posts