Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and the same to things kept coming up.

Just need to know how to check my alternator with a multi-meter to see if it's any good.

1997 vortec 350
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Start the motor then take off the + terminal off the battery. if it stays running it works, if it dies no worky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't like that method. Plus, I have the "theftloc" radio and if you disconeect the battery, it locks out and costs me $30 at the dealer to unlock it.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Put the meter on the battery, you should have close to 12 volts. Start the truck and take another reading should be close to 14 volts. This doesent check the alternator under a load so turn on lights, AC, etc, the volts should stay above what the battery volts were.
Some parts stores have a tester that should load up the alternator to see if its putting out what it should.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,848 Posts
Or go to checker or Autozone and have them throw it on the charging analyzer. It's free and easy, and tests under load.


Damn I sound like a salesman there! :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
erich_in_AZ said:
Or go to checker or Autozone and have them throw it on the charging analyzer. It's free and easy, and tests under load.


Damn I sound like a salesman there! :laughing:
Thanks for translating this for me "Some parts stores have a tester that should load up the alternator to see if its putting out what it should.":flipoff2:
(my first use of the PBB hi sign)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,848 Posts
6869704x4 said:


Thanks for translating this for me "Some parts stores have a tester that should load up the alternator to see if its putting out what it should.":flipoff2:
(my first use of the PBB hi sign)
I was a hell of lot more specific Newbie! I actually named a couple of stores, and mentioned the fact that it was free! :flipoff2:

Now, BACK TO YOUR CORNER NEWBIE BEEEEYOTCH! I'll let you know when you can speak again.

:flipoff2: :D :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
TXLUGNUT said:
Don't like that method. Plus, I have the "theftloc" radio and if you disconeect the battery, it locks out and costs me $30 at the dealer to unlock it.........
I have a 97 vortec also and my theftloc was set by me so if the battery was disconnected i had to put in my code. Enter the code yourself and write it down and you won't have to pay to have it unlocked.

Or go to checker or Autozone and have them throw it on the charging analyzer. It's free and easy, and tests under load

I have had these test show the alternator was good when it wasn't. Probably tester error if you go this route have some one experianced run the test. Or do what Elcyboy20 suggested
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Newbe come out of corner.

OOPS! My bad, I thought the question was how to check it with a multi-meter. :confused:

Disconecting the battery is not a good check because it doesnt take much juice to keep a motor running. It only tells you that the alt. is putting out a little, but may not be enough to keep the batt charged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,848 Posts
Re: Newbe come out of corner.

6869704x4 said:
OOPS! My bad, I thought the question was how to check it with a multi-meter. :confused:
Bwahahaaha! Just 'cuz that's what he asked doesn't mean we can't stray off line and tell him about things he doesn't want to know! :laughing: :flipoff2:


6869704x4 said:

Disconecting the battery is not a good check because it doesnt take much juice to keep a motor running. It only tells you that the alt. is putting out a little, but may not be enough to keep the batt charged.
This is true. You can also spike the hell out of a computer (if a vehicle is so equipped) when you do this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,368 Posts
erich_in_AZ said:
Or go to checker or Autozone and have them throw it on the charging analyzer. It's free and easy, and tests under load.


Damn I sound like a salesman there! :laughing:
My experience has been that its better to take it off the vehicle, and take it in to NAPA and have it bench tested by someone who actually knows what the fawk they're doing.

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
NEVER take the battery out of computer controlled vehicle why it is running!!!! Unless replacing fryed computer compents sounds like fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Man, I can feel the love in here.


Feels kinda like brake cleaner, right in the eye.:eek:

Wonder how the alternator checked out???
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top