Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to hear about what you can buy aftermarket.

What high amp alt's are out there for our Dodges in the yards ?

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
i think the 94+ trucks with the factory tow pacakage have a 160 or 170 amp unit. could be smaller though.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Highest output for 94 up Rams was 136 Amp altenator

·
Registered
954 Posts
Some of the pre 94 trucks had 100 amp alternators on them. They use a different bracket than the stock alt, so you need to snag that too. I know my 79 came factory with about a 68 amp or so, so the 100 is a big upgrade if you have the small one.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Trailduster79 said:
Some of the pre 94 trucks had 100 amp alternators on them. They use a different bracket than the stock alt, so you need to snag that too. I know my 79 came factory with about a 68 amp or so, so the 100 is a big upgrade if you have the small one.

this is what i plan to use is the big 100 amp alt, but i would recommend a heavier jumper wire from the alt to the pos of the battery so all the amperage isnt going through the bulkhead connector. could be a smoke show in no time. ;)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Yep, I've personally smoked the bulkhead connector. It is too small to put that kind of power through. I ran 8 gauge wire from the alternator to cure this problem.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I highly recommend the 100/114 amp alternator for the older trucks. I hooked mine up with 4 gauge right to the battery and the head lights have never been so bright. They don't even dim the slightest when the engine is just idling. Be sure to add a voltmeter so that you can still monitor the charging system.

·
Registered
808 Posts
PJTPW said:
Are the cases the same physical size on the higher output alts?

Ryan
On the older trucks, the 100/114 amp alternator is MUCH larger than the standard ~65 amp alternator. It requires a completely different set of brackets. They are common on high optioned '70s-'80s cars, trucks, and police cars up to about '86 or '87 I believe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I run the older 100 amp alternator, and had to make my own brackets. And everyone keeps talking about the 94 and up ones, but remember those use a serpentine belt.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
rockmup is right, you should be able to swap pulleys on the newer alternators. There was an article a couple of years ago in Mopar Action about running the newer nippondenso alternators on old muscle cars and stuff. From what I remember of the article, it sounded like it was basically a bolt in but a few minor mods were needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts