Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To bad the search is down cause I know I've seen lots of good info on this before. I did read thru the FAQ, found the link to autoshop101, helped some, but still not there yet.

I'm having problems figuring out the wiring of my '85 for the alternator. I have a diagram in a cheapy manual, but the color coding is way off and I can't seem to figure it out.

Looking at the 3 wire plug for the alternator, and basically, the '85 wiring harness doesn't match up with the same type plug (older donor engine, 20R). I have the older engine alternator plug, but I'm not sure which wires to splice together to make this thing work correctly.

Does anyone have a diagram that shows the routing and color coding for an 85 model, or for the 20R engine's?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yellow wire is from the charge light indicator which also has a 7.5 amp fuse in that circuit. This is Hot in run only. Red is from a 15 amp fuse that is hot in run or start. White is from an 80 amp fusible link which is hot all the time. These are for an 85 pickup.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that gets me what I needed on the '85.

Can anyone tell me which terminal on the alternator each of these is supposed to connect to?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
KyYota said:
Thanks, that gets me what I needed on the '85.

Can anyone tell me which terminal on the alternator each of these is supposed to connect to?
I'll look at the manual tomorrow AM and post answer if no one else has yet.

Al

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Albin, that would help me not do the wiring 3 or 4 times before I get it right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts