Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fed up with the charging problems. I have a 1985 Scrambler with a 4.2L engine. I am going to replace my alternator and set-up a dual battery system. As far as the alternator I would like a Mitsubishi Diamond Power 160 amp alternator. Has anyone used those with that engine, or at all, and is it even available for that engine? I stopped looking and thought I would ask the experienced before I continued.

As far as the dual battery system goes, I am leaning towards a REDARC system. Does anyone have any comments on that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If your 4.2l engine has a V-belt drive, it might not have enough belt traction to drive a 160 amp alternator. In other words the belt will tend to slip and wear very fast or burn up with a single V-belt drive. Carry spares on the trail. A Serpentine drive is much better.

Tray:
Wrangler Power Products (Ballard industries now) has dual battery systems, too.
Ballard Commercial Industries 3100963000 Dual Battery Tray for 70-90 Jeep CJ & Wrangler YJ | Quadratec

Cables:
Wrangler Power Products 100-963001 Dual Battery Relay Cable Kit for 70-95 Jeep CJ & Wrangler YJ | Quadratec

Battery management:
Wrangler Power Products 3-100-963026 Dual Battery Manager Kit for 70-95 Jeep CJ & Wrangler YJ | Quadratec

Easy on a CJ/YJ to make a dual battery tray that bolts in where the stock tray is, using angle iron. Will hold dual group 24's, 34s or Optimas.

Premier Power Welders sells 170 amp GM type alternators that will fit the stock 4.2l bracket:
Jeep High Output Alternators - Premier Power Welder, LLC. - Page 2

You will need to upgrade the alternator main power cable as stock is only 10 gauge that feeds through a 14 gauge fuseible link.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your 4.2l engine has a V-belt drive, it might not have enough belt traction to drive a 160 amp alternator. In other words the belt will tend to slip and wear very fast or burn up with a single V-belt drive. Carry spares on the trail. A Serpentine drive is much better.

Tray:
Wrangler Power Products (Ballard industries now) has dual battery systems, too.
Ballard Commercial Industries 3100963000 Dual Battery Tray for 70-90 Jeep CJ & Wrangler YJ | Quadratec

Cables:
Wrangler Power Products 100-963001 Dual Battery Relay Cable Kit for 70-95 Jeep CJ & Wrangler YJ | Quadratec

Battery management:
Wrangler Power Products 3-100-963026 Dual Battery Manager Kit for 70-95 Jeep CJ & Wrangler YJ | Quadratec

Easy on a CJ/YJ to make a dual battery tray that bolts in where the stock tray is, using angle iron. Will hold dual group 24's, 34s or Optimas.

Premier Power Welders sells 170 amp GM type alternators that will fit the stock 4.2l bracket:
Jeep High Output Alternators - Premier Power Welder, LLC. - Page 2

You will need to upgrade the alternator main power cable as stock is only 10 gauge that feeds through a 14 gauge fuseible link.

Hope this helps!
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts