Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best tool to cut a 4'x8' sheet of 3mm thick 5052 aluminum into 12"x12" squares? I do not have access to a plasma or shear.

Circular saw with a metal cutting wheel?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
What is the best tool to cut a 4'x8' sheet of 3mm thick 5052 aluminum into 12"x12" squares? I do not have access to a plasma or shear.

Circular saw with a metal cutting wheel?
No. But a metal cutting circular saw would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Dont need a metal cutting blade just a carbide tooth blade. Clamp a piece of angle to it as a guide and you can get it to cut real close. Thats a lot of cuts though might be better off to call around and find a shop to shear it up for you.

Toddy

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Jigsaw? Plasma cutter?

You have lots of options. I bet you could even find a shop that would shear it for you (for a price of course).

·
Master Apprentice
1,896 Posts
Jigsaw? Plasma cutter?

You have lots of options. I bet you could even find a shop that would shear it for you (for a price of course).
Winner!

For probably about the cost of a few metal cutting blades any shop with a shear can cut that for you in less than 5 min.

Our price would be about $20 for a 4x8 cut into 12x12 squares.

And since its only 3mm thick a saw would probably leave a nasty cut.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If you consider your time being worth anything, paying someone to shear it is the way to go. The metal shop out here that is overpriced on everything only charges $3 a cut.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
oh, and wear ear plugs.

I've been around 3/4" plate aluminum being cut with a circular saw... like nails on a chalk board only 1 million times louder.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Circular Saw or Table Saw with an everyday carbide blade.

Hit the edges with a file or a light flapdisc and your golden.

Probably take less time that it would to take it to a shop and wait to have them sheer it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome. I have a bucket load of old carbide blades for my circ saw. I may go the shear route next time.... Actually I will buy them precut instead of in a 4x8 shett! :D

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
oh, and wear ear plugs.

I've been around 3/4" plate aluminum being cut with a circular saw... like nails on a chalk board only 1 million times louder.
Actually 2 millions times louder!

We cut some 1/2" tooling plate at work awhile back with a standard circular saw/carbide blade , it's very effective but dangerously loud!

Wear plugs/phones and long sleeves , the alu. chips are near molten coming off the blade.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Circular saw with a plain old carbide tipped wood blade....cuts like buddah!!

Yup. A metal cuting blade just gets hot. A medium tooth carbide wood blade cuts aluminum sheet very well. Just make sure to wear some glasses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you get it sheared, you won't have waste and will get 11 more pieces than if you cut it with a saw, you will lose 1 column and 1 row, and maybe your hearing for a while.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts