Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never set up full hydro before or used full hydro. I am looking at running 7075-t651 for my tie rods. Fairly cheap, bore directly for threads and readily available. I have read through alot of the thread on aluminum links and most are from a few years ago, like the aluminum was kind of a fad. I am concerned mostly about pulling threads, I would of course bury the heim in the link so I would think engagement would be ok. I am looking at 1.5" od with a 7/8" shank heim. The tie rods will be fairly well protected but of course may see a hit every now and again.

Any thoughts or long term feedback?

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I wouldn't. The force those see will be all pull/push on the threads. You gain nothing at all over a welded in bung and lose the strenth on the threads.

And Al links were just a fad. It's over now. Like EMO.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I think the weight you'll save from running aluminum (Which is the only benefit I see) will not be worth the "possible" issues it might cause with the threads.

I'm sure they are engineered well enough where they wouldn't fail, but you will be less likely to have an issue with steel vs. the aluminum.
MIke.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
As long as you get 75% thread depth and run jam nuts you'll be fine.
No diffence then running 7075-t6 solid on links. How many folks really pull threads on them.
Ive machined both with thread. Tubing and 7075-t6.

I like the idea because you can run really small dis arms.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Like stated drive the shank in deap and jam nuts you wont have a issue.

I laugh when people say 7075 is a fad :) tell that to everyone in AZ running it with out any issues.... Lets see not only some of the best wheeling in the US but we do it every weekend :)

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Like stated drive the shank in deap and jam nuts you wont have a issue.

I laugh when people say 7075 is a fad :) tell that to everyone in AZ running it with out any issues.... Lets see not only some of the best wheeling in the US but we do it every weekend :)
It's still a fad. People were wearing the hell out of MC Hammer pants for a while too. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
It's still a fad. People were wearing the hell out of MC Hammer pants for a while too. :flipoff2:
That made me laugh this am. (the hammer pants part)
Fad.... maybe.... works yes.... Works for a long time which is whats needed for rigs that wheel often and hard.... Yes cromo is great but wheel cromo every weekend vs. 7075 and I have my money the guy with Cromo will change his links out first.... Thats all Im saying. Maybe not compairing apples to apples. Trail rig (real trail rig not once a month or more) vs. race rig or something that wheels less often

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
That made me laugh this am. (the hammer pants part)
Fad.... maybe.... works yes.... Works for a long time which is whats needed for rigs that wheel often and hard.... Yes cromo is great but wheel cromo every weekend vs. 7075 and I have my money the guy with Cromo will change his links out first.... Thats all Im saying. Maybe not compairing apples to apples. Trail rig (real trail rig not once a month or more) vs. race rig or something that wheels less often
Through heat treated 4340 links 2x.25wall are way stronger than AL. Same price or less, and compared to 2in solid AL links, about the same weight. So you can go with something way stronger for the same money, or pull up your MC pants. In 5 years, nobody will build a rig with AL links (I have AL links, it's not hating, just reality). Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I have never set up full hydro before or used full hydro. I am looking at running 7075-t651 for my tie rods. Fairly cheap, bore directly for threads and readily available. I have read through alot of the thread on aluminum links and most are from a few years ago, like the aluminum was kind of a fad. I am concerned mostly about pulling threads, I would of course bury the heim in the link so I would think engagement would be ok. I am looking at 1.5" od with a 7/8" shank heim. The tie rods will be fairly well protected but of course may see a hit every now and again.

Any thoughts or long term feedback?
Been using alum links on my racer with full hydro for many years.... no failers ever!!! Also run alum links on suspension .... never had a failer...ever
Ran chromo links on Promod car made to competions and where bent bad...... just sayin:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've never been one to keep up with the trends.. :D I have run the same 1.5" dia 7075 links on my Howe DE ram for 4 years now. They get used hard in competition but I never had a single issue. Bore is 3/4"-16. For me, it works great. I think you fine with 7075 or 4340.

6061 I might be a bit concerned with but I have used 6061 for upper suspension links. I am mid weight, say 3500# in KOH trim.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Through heat treated 4340 links 2x.25wall are way stronger than AL. Same price or less, and compared to 2in solid AL links, about the same weight. So you can go with something way stronger for the same money, or pull up your MC pants. In 5 years, nobody will build a rig with AL links (I have AL links, it's not hating, just reality). Cheers
Maybe but for what Im buying and machining 7075 for (not a plug) its not cheaper than 4340. In 5 years There will prob be something stronger / lighter and cheaper than 7075 and 4340

There are many materials I have been eyeing that would kick both of them right out of the market though its not cost effective yet.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts