Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some short lift blocks (1"-2") and got offered some solid aluminum ones. I was wondering if they are worth running or if there is some kind of safety issue with aluminum blocks. I seem to remember reading something on here, but I can't seem to find it now.

All the steel ones I seem to find have an angle machined into them. That seems somewhat annoying to me as I'm rotating the axle anyway with new perches so all that does it give me another angle to take into account. These aluminum ones are flat.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
"Short" is 1-2"s?!?
Lift blocks suck ass, especially if they're aluminium.
That being said I just installed some 3/4" lift blocks on my rig(to fix a sagging rear end) that I made using two 3/8" pieces of steel welded together.

Jes

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
BAAADDDDD......don't run em...I have seen them split in two on the trail and send the pinions skyward......I wouldn't run them on my mall rig...actually hte mall rig has steel ones as a matter of fact......if you only find angled steel ones then just gring the angle out of them...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, "short" is 1"-2". Have you seen the crap they sell? I saw some fawkin 4" blocks at the shop, and they claim to sell 5". All the local 4x4 places said the same thing about the block sizes. I don't know who would run a 5" block, not me.

I'm trying to match height on 63" Chevy's with 44044s on a Toy PU, so I need more lift than the AAL I allready have will give me in the rear. I may try just welding some flat bar to the perch or dropping the shackle hanger some, but the guys on the Toy board seem to do fine with 2"+ blocks. I was thinking more like 1" or 1.5" with a dropped shackle hanger. I want to keep the blocks short to avoid wrap.

Thanks for the warning on those aluminum blocks ToyFamily. I was a bit worried about them. I'll locate some steel ones. I think the 1" steel is available flat, so I may just go that route. Besides, the bling-bling aluminum ones cost 2x as much. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO DON'T do it. I had a buddy use them cuzz he is a cheap @ss, got them for free so he used them. Well long story short they snapped in half on the freeway doing about 65 mph. U bolts came loose everything shifted axle fell sideways truck fliped out of control off the highway.....So its up to you but I would most definitly NOT do it.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
just go to your local P-N-P and get some out of a ford or IH I got ford one for my pickup for $ 15.00 and ther HD cast

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
chief yelling alot.. probably stupid question.. but did they come stock on any vehicles?

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
ttabbal said:
I saw some fawkin 4" blocks at the shop, and they claim to sell 5". All the local 4x4 places said the same thing about the block sizes. I don't know who would run a 5" block, not me.

Looks like this guy has a 5 inch or so rear block. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would suggest not putting them in but.... I had a set that I made that were 3" solid 6061 that I had in for at least 6mo before I decided to get the rear fixed and then I gave them away and there was no sign of wear to them. That said the ones you buy break and the ones I made would be spendy to buy the material for, so you decide.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jopes said:

Looks like this guy has a 5 inch or so rear block. :rolleyes:

No traction bar that I can see. and what, 5 leafs, with one twisted in the pack? Man that thing has to have some serious wrapidge! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
looks closely between the shock and the spring pack. it looks like there is something there with a arm going forawrd.

Either way. I would not wheel something like that.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I see a lot of blocks on show trucks. They like them, because they are easy, and keep the ride good. But I dont' think the ride feels very good when the block falls out. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts