Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said in my past posts .... may as well change everything I can on the bottom end while the engine is out ... 1986 F-150 4x4 4.9 i6

So, I am going to put a new oil pump in ....

I may as well change the timing gears at the same time (this went on my last motor).

So do I use "silent" gears ( plastic with a metal center) or do I go with aluminum gears?

Just an old work / plow truck so noise does not matter.

Thanks .... Mike

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Factory for your 86 would have been aluminum crank, phenolic cam. They last installed the steel/steel gears 82 or 83 in pickup apps. Not sure what they are selling as silent gears.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rock Auto has lots of choices ...

Lots of choices on Rock Auto ...

All have either steel or cast iron crank gears ... the cam gears vary ...

Cheapest ... metal center with phenolic teeth

Complete cam gear phenolic

Complete gear aluminum

Most expensive ... steel / cast iron gear

I tried to read up on this. It "seems" people think steel (or aluminum) gears last longer but make more noise.

I am not sure if this is true so I wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks .... Mike

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Look up Sealed Power 2212764S.
Should be steel/steel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So alum is ok?

Great ...

The aluminum one is only $5 more than the plastic one ... no brainer.

The steel one is over double ... that hurts a bit.

So it there a good reason to spend over double on the steel one or will the aluminum one be OK?

Thanks so very much again !!!!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
So it there a good reason to spend over double on the steel one or will the aluminum one be OK?

Mike

I have no opinion on either material, they should both be fine in a stock build, but I'd look for a set that's adjustable. With that much of a price difference the steel may be an adjustable set while the alu is straight up. Those couple of degrees can wake up an engine.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
I have no opinion on either material, they should both be fine in a stock build, but I'd look for a set that's adjustable. With that much of a price difference the steel may be an adjustable set while the alu is straight up. Those couple of degrees can wake up an engine.
I wouldn't spend extra for adjustable since you can get an offset key for like $5. Either set should outlive the truck the engine is in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

I had never heard of an off set key ... makes sense.

I think the last time I saw and ajustable cam was way back in my college days when I rebuilt a 911 engine .. holes in the cam gear and a plate with another series.

Anyway ... not trying to push this old engine, just make it as reliable as I can without spending a lot of money.

Thanks so very much for the advice!

mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts