Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious now that guys have been running them for a few years how are your aluminum skids, bumpers, and links are holding up. I'd like to run aluminum on my new rig but if I decide to go winter wheeling I don't want to ruin the parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like mentioned before it will oxidize, but polishing well keep it looking good or you could powder coat it. I run a powder coated sled deck and had a all alum sled trailer, both of which are preferable over steel due to the lack of rust with winter conditions and road salt.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
We use a lot of aluminum parts and bodies on our trucks at work for weight savings. The state of IL is notorious for using lots of road salt. Rust is nothing more than how carbon steel oxidizes. Aluminum also oxidizes, it just not called rust. Aluminum will become pitted, flaky, perforated just like rust, its merely just another color of oxidation. Polishing aluminum doesn't stop or slow oxidation, a coating will such as Type III anodizing will. There are several other types of anodizing but only Type III (hard anodizing) will last and not get scratched off easily, but it is not a cheap process. After years of running aluminum bodies I can't say that aluminum really lasts any longer than a steel body. The Mfgs. sold us on the premiss that their aluminum bodies can be reused on a new chassis when the old chassis was replaced because they don't rust. In reality this was not the case due to oxidation.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
How does the Plasti Dip actually hold up.........I am thinking about doing my running boards in it, but dont want to respray every other week

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I don't know how it would hold up to road salt. The only thing I have seen "plasti-dipped" were tool handles, like pliars, wire cutters, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts