Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who wants me to bend up a new aluminum bumper for his quad. Will I have any issues pulling it through my ProTools 105?

I have a 1"OD 4clr die; is there any restrictions in regards to wall thickness?

I've never worked with aluminum before and haven't found much information with the little research that I've done thus far. Figured I'd post up here to see if anyone had first hand experience.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I didn't search hard enough. I ended up finding some info.

My bending setup is adequate, though I may have issues with my follower die (as expected). The OEM follower can be used if it's polished to a mirror finish, but they offer delrin followers that prevent marring. I may go that route pending tool cost.

They also suggest doubling the minimum listed wall thickness to safeguard against ID wrinkling.

·
Registered
409 Posts
shouldn't be a problem. use 6063 tubing. 6061 will break before it completes the bend unless you anneal it.

regarding the follower die, I just slit a 20 oz soda bottle in half and wrap the tubing with it. it seems to keep marring down to a minimum. could also use some baby powder with it to help it slide along. may want to try a test piece 1st.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I had a job bending 1" 1/8 wall aluminum round tube. It was going great until i got a few sticks that would break at 20 degrees no matter what.

I think it was all 6061 but could be wrong. Most of it was bent to 120 degrees with no problem.

Bender was jd2 model 3 with a 3" CLR

I'd think you'd want a 1/8 wall minimum anyway.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I'm hoping to meet up with my buddy this week to nail down exactly what he wants and I'll go from there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had a job bending 1" 1/8 wall aluminum round tube. It was going great until i got a few sticks that would break at 20 degrees no matter what.

I think it was all 6061 but could be wrong. Most of it was bent to 120 degrees with no problem.

Bender was jd2 model 3 with a 3" CLR

I'd think you'd want a 1/8 wall minimum anyway.
was it a T0?

OP - I just got off the phone with pro tools an hour ago asking about bending some AL tube with my 105HD in the 1.5" dia. I was told .120" wall min and to use 6063-T52. I was also told everything else (alloy & temper) would give problems.

I cannot find any 6063-T52 in stock locally. I can find 5052-T0 or 6061-T0 but its in a .065 wall and according to pro tools it would distort/kink/wrinkle

I just might try a piece of T6 and attempt to anneal it before bending.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts