Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep seeing these on social media, and I was wondering if anybody had real world experience with them. I know @meiser likes them, And it looks like custom splice is coming out with a few different sizes. They are supposed to be used with soft shackles. I’m thinking of swapping my steel snatch blocks out for them because I almost never use them and they are just heavy. Usually if I use a snatch block it’s because I was doing some stupid at the house. Never used one on the trail.

There are some pictures I stole from the custom splice Facebook page so you know what I’m talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
I wouldn't use that anywhere that it was muddy, dusty, or gritty. (INB4 "So yer mum's cunt is oot" :flipoff2:)

I'd be a lot more happy about using them in real world conditions if they had a PTFE bearing that could rotate in the aluminum, rather than on the shackle.

But that's me, haven't used them.

·
NERD
8,588 Posts
I like Meiser and his products. I thought about grabbing one but I use a TRE snatch block that's blingin' since they're friends of mine and I like their design and bearing style. I also use them at the house more than on the trail BUT the one time I needed it I was about to slide off a shitty snowed and iced over switchback. My ass end had drifted off and I was about 12 inches away from a full slide. I hooked up the snatch block and corrected the Jeep's position pretty quick.

If you don't have a snatch block I'd definitely grab one. For low use I think it's a perfect solution.

TRE version: https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.com/product/snatch-block-aluminum/

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts

·
Rolling Mod
41,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize that these are not new to the world, but I feel like it’s a recent development that people are using them off-road.

I have a couple of warn snatch blocks, but they are just heavy. And since my new to me winch has rope instead of cable I think this may be a way to go. My number one concern is obviously I would not be hooking this up, so whoever was helping me extract myself would have to be able to figure out how to set it up.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'd maybe print out a picture of the operation or get it printed on a laminated card? I see your point, pictures are better then trying to describe how to set it up.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
_irate4x4 com
1,863 Posts

·
Registered
15,368 Posts
I realize that these are not new to the world, but I feel like it’s a recent development that people are using them off-road.

I have a couple of warn snatch blocks, but they are just heavy. And since my new to me winch has rope instead of cable I think this may be a way to go.
x2 first ive seen it or read about it here and i agree, if i was buying a snatch block id go for this one

ive used my traditional SB numerous times on the trail for numerous different things, including moving boulders back onto the trail and partially flopping my rig on its side to get both axles from being wedged

jeepcomanchee is a closet homo princess sissy bitch :flipoff2:

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
I don't like it. Seems like it would be ok for a short or light pull, but anything pushing the limits is going to generate a lot of heat, which is the one thing you don't want with synthetic rope.

Wire rope and heavy assed snatch blocks FTW! :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
what keeps it from falling off every time it loses tension :confused:

seems like a pain for 1 person to operate :shrug: might not be their intended use

·
P.B.A.
4,343 Posts

seems like a pain for 1 person to operate :shrug: might not be their intended use
Maybe @miser will chime in he’s solved this problem. My only critique is it’s a bit cumbersome and no way a laymen could set it up. But it does work.

I have an idea to keep the line on but I don’t have real good access to a mill anymore.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts

something along these lines would fix that issue

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts

something along these lines would fix that issue
The first one has the opposite of the intended effect which is not wearing the winch line and it is running over a smaller radius which if given a choice, should always be larger. The rope loop is also being highly stressed at the cinch point.

The second one only has one drawback if they are the same cost as the last time I looked at them and that is they aren't exactly cheap.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The first one has the opposite of the intended effect which is not wearing the winch line and it is running over a smaller radius which if given a choice, should always be larger. The rope loop is also being highly stressed at the cinch point.

The second one only has one drawback if they are the same cost as the last time I looked at them and that is they aren't exactly cheap.
Use a wire rope and normal snatch block then. :flipoff2: No the second one isn't cheap. Sure seems like a cheap version of what it does could be made though

Personally the winch line running around the outside of the donut has a higher contact area (slightly) and probably the same amount of heat generated. The inner radius isn't much worse then a hawse fair-lead on the ones I've seen. Also I don't recall the last time I used a snatch block that the line ran parallel to each other. Usually there was a pretty good angle between the winch line and what it was attached to.

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
That vid by Custom Splice is just a test. I would like to see a before and after on the synthetic rope and aluminum device after a pull with tension approaching twice the winches stated rating and approaching the ropes capacity. I would also like to see temperatures at that device during the pull. If saving weight I would be much more about the conventional snatch block made of Aluminum

·
Registered
3,236 Posts

I think it could fall off even when it's tight. This is one of those things where it's almost as good as a block. If you need a block and you don't have one, this could work. But if you're buying a block or this, why buy this?

·
Rolling Mod
41,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is to save weight, like you know, for the guy who back packs and carries a winch. Every ounce counts. :flipoff2:
I’m not as big a weight weenie as a backpacker, but it’s nice to have a lower than 6000lb trail weight.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts