Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Not worried about that hunk of aluminum wearing out, I'm worried about the soft shackle or rope wearing. If the ring spins on the soft shackle while winching, its wearing out the soft shackle, period. If the ring doesn't spin on the soft shackle due to high loading, your rope is wearing out. Get it now?
The soft shackle could be an issue, but not the rope/cable.

Your rope would get hot if it ran continuously around it, but it doesn't. A single piece of rope is only on that thing for a few inches. A winch rope or cable will ware out eventually, but it certainly wouldn't ware out in a single outing, or even multiple winchings on a big trip.

But if the rope or cable goes out of the groove and it loses the nice, big, smooth, radius, it could fail right then and there.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Has anyone who is saying that these won't work actually used one?

Do I really need to buy one to know it's not the magic product other people are making it out to be? I have an understanding of how shit works and I know you do also, but let me clarify my reasoning behind it not working all that well in most cases with an example......

6000lb JKU stuck in mud with both 37" passenger tires buried over the top. Pass side frame is basically on the ground. You pull out a single line and it's a no go so you need to double up. You hook that roller up to your soft shackle after running your winch line through it (we will assume the line is 100% clean and dirt/mud free for sake of arguement) and start to pull. Let's say your pulling 8k of force on that roller. That's 8k lbs of pressure your exerting on a maybe 3" tall (probably less) radius surface that's spinning on a piece of rope that 1/2" wide at best. Abrasion sleeve or not, that is some serious pressure to place on a small area. How can it not damage the soft shackle? Might not be blatantly obvious the first time you use it, but it will get worse with every use no matter what. Its just physics.

Now introduce dirty ass winch rope and/or a dirty soft shackle to the above scenario and tell me how one of the 3 items being used isnt going to wear. Again, I'm not saying it's going to be an instant failure, but it's going to happen. Prove me wrong. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I don't see the ring spinning, I see the rope sliding in the groove.

IMO, that's worse. Drag some gritted up rope with 8k lbs of pressure on it over the same section of aluminum for a few feet and I guarantee it will not be smooth in that spot anymore. Winch rope gets dirty, it's a fact of life when your wheeling in most places.

It's not a product for me. I'll stick with my 20k lb capacity snatch block, weight be damned! Lol

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think the next trip out I will go out of my way to drag the rope though mud and see if I can fuck something up with either the ring, shackle or rope.

And I will make a note on whether the ring spins or the rope slides around it

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
I bet I find 20 versions of this at SEMA this year! I will try to ask about them.

I use steel cable on my rollbacks, trail rigs, trailer winch and only rope on my race car(because we have too). I have never had a cable fail in the 25 plus years I have been using them. I can not remember how many times my ropes have failed, and I needed them when they did. No time to re-splice so they got knots tied in them.

And yes my Gigglepin will spool in 100 feet in a min or less I am quite sure.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
And yes my Gigglepin will spool in 100 feet in a min or less I am quite sure.
unloaded or moderate load?

either way, damn nice :smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Good video, It was painfull to see how slow those winches pull. Have they not heard of a 8274?

I can not wait for one of those aluminum rollers to break free and come back at the person winching!

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
unloaded or moderate load?

either way, damn nice :smokin:
In cab video showed 3 mph winching up sand hill. Not sure what that equates to in ft per min, too lazy to do the math!:grinpimp:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I suppose it would work in a pinch but I don't see any great advantage. Is anyone really concerned about the small difference in weight? In my mind, it needs to be about double the diameter.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Do I really need to buy one to know it's not the magic product other people are making it out to be? I have an understanding of how shit works and I know you do also, but let me clarify my reasoning behind it not working all that well in most cases with an example......

6000lb JKU stuck in mud with both 37" passenger tires buried over the top. Pass side frame is basically on the ground. You pull out a single line and it's a no go so you need to double up. You hook that roller up to your soft shackle after running your winch line through it (we will assume the line is 100% clean and dirt/mud free for sake of arguement) and start to pull. Let's say your pulling 8k of force on that roller. That's 8k lbs of pressure your exerting on a maybe 3" tall (probably less) radius surface that's spinning on a piece of rope that 1/2" wide at best. Abrasion sleeve or not, that is some serious pressure to place on a small area. How can it not damage the soft shackle? Might not be blatantly obvious the first time you use it, but it will get worse with every use no matter what. Its just physics.

Now introduce dirty ass winch rope and/or a dirty soft shackle to the above scenario and tell me how one of the 3 items being used isnt going to wear. Again, I'm not saying it's going to be an instant failure, but it's going to happen. Prove me wrong. :flipoff2:
It is up to the rigger to use what will work best for the situation at hand. I've used a simple bow shackle and rock strap as a snatch block many times in JV to pull the top of a high centered rig up and over enough to drive off the rock. Put the rope through the shackle, pin gets both ends of the rock strap, pull away. It is a low load and too small of a radius for much else but it does and has worked many times without damage to the line. I would not use the same rigging for a doubled line pull back to the bumper.

I suspect your scenario would likely be nicer to the ring since that may induce enough friction from the dirt to get it to turn on the soft shackle.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
I bet I find 20 versions of this at SEMA this year! I will try to ask about them.
Do a google search for a sailing low friction ring. 100's of options already in use. They are not new or unique, we are just behind on the applications.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Do a google search for a sailing low friction ring. 100's of options already in use. They are not new or unique, we are just behind on the applications.

Certainly some neat stuff out there for the sailing guys.

I think the biggest difference is that they are working with hundreds of pounds and we are working with thousands of pounds. So, it's not really a direct crossover.

Most of what I saw that could handle thousands of pounds, all had bearings in them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think you might be surprised how much a sail boat rigging loads are designed for. It's a much higher risk on a boat. So the design criteria is usually quite a bit higher.

Synthetic winch rope is just an alternative use of the early Dyneema rigging ropes. No reason we shouldn't also use the other sailing rigging parts. They work great. I'm kinda surprised it's taken so long to see more soft shackles around. I've used them for years. I'm also kinda shocked that people sell them for $50+ for $5 of rope and something you can make at home in about 15 minutes.

A 28mm Antal ring is rated for 14,000lb mwl. And they're $30 and fit in your pocket - except you've got to get the rope through the hole... so I'm not sure how folks plan on doing that unless you're going to pull the thimble off every time you want to use it. Or you'll use it backwards like the photo on the first page. That's not how they work normally.

Also relevant: Dyneema rope is UHMW plastic. It effectively self lubricates on the rings, so you should never overheat them, or at a minimum you'd need very high line speed.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
In cab video showed 3 mph winching up sand hill. Not sure what that equates to in ft per min, too lazy to do the math!:grinpimp:
well that is hauling ass, thanks :smokin:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think you might be surprised how much a sail boat rigging loads are designed for. It's a much higher risk on a boat. So the design criteria is usually quite a bit higher.

Synthetic winch rope is just an alternative use of the early Dyneema rigging ropes. No reason we shouldn't also use the other sailing rigging parts. They work great. I'm kinda surprised it's taken so long to see more soft shackles around. I've used them for years. I'm also kinda shocked that people sell them for $50+ for $5 of rope and something you can make at home in about 15 minutes.

A 28mm Antal ring is rated for 14,000lb mwl. And they're $30 and fit in your pocket - except you've got to get the rope through the hole... so I'm not sure how folks plan on doing that unless you're going to pull the thimble off every time you want to use it. Or you'll use it backwards like the photo on the first page. That's not how they work normally.

Also relevant: Dyneema rope is UHMW plastic. It effectively self lubricates on the rings, so you should never overheat them, or at a minimum you'd need very high line speed.

Salt water harder on rope than mud, sand, and dip spit?

61 - 80 of 106 Posts