Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to do the Con before it's gone for good. Some of us Oregon guys are planning on coming down this summer for a run. I was there about 5 years ago but never got past the little sluice because of breakdowns and time. Anyway, I need advice on if my rig will be able to make it though without holding up the group too much. I am sure this has been asked multiple times, but please humor me.

My rig(it will be towed down)

Specs
87 Sami
1.6 16v
6-1 T-case with bucket
Lockrights F&R Diff guards on both ends
OME 2" springs
Calmini rocker guards
30' MTR's

it will have
Custom bumpers
more under car protection(spring mount skids)
Possibly a winch, although many in our group will have winches.

So should I even try?

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Rubicon ain't going anywhere... indeed, El Dorado County's formalization of the route is ten years' worth of work finally come to fruition... some of the alternates/bypasses are changed, but the main trail alignment is in better shape legally than it ever has been.

Your rig is smaller than many other rigs, but go with a group of guys who know the route, and have bigger equipment, and be prepared to 1.) take a spot when needed, 2.) take a strap from time to time, and 3.) pull off to the side to allow faster-moving traffic to pass. I don't see that many Samurai rigs on the trail these days, but there are a few, and with a good driver who knows the trail and his equipment, they do fine. Bigger tires would make it MUCH easier, but that does put more leverage on everything...

BTW -- great picture! Is that one of those high-definition composites?

Randii

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Rubicon ain't going anywhere... indeed, El Dorado County's formalization of the route is ten years' worth of work finally come to fruition... some of the alternates/bypasses are changed, but the main trail alignment is in better shape legally than it ever has been.

Your rig is smaller than many other rigs, but go with a group of guys who know the route, and have bigger equipment, and be prepared to 1.) take a spot when needed, 2.) take a strap from time to time, and 3.) pull off to the side to allow faster-moving traffic to pass. I don't see that many Samurai rigs on the trail these days, but there are a few, and with a good driver who knows the trail and his equipment, they do fine. Bigger tires would make it MUCH easier, but that does put more leverage on everything...

BTW -- great picture! Is that one of those high-definition composites?

Randii
X2.

If your with friends, no worries you should be fine (provided they are good/cool ones).

If you can, I'd suggest a winch as big plus (can pull you over stuff when needed, to keep you moving).
Know your rig and carry spares.

If money is an issue, get a smaller/cheap one & plan on running a snatch block (doubles the LB rating). I think a 4k could work on your rig.

·
Land Use Zeus
2,881 Posts
I would add that the more you can stay on the trail during week days, the better. On weekends, you might find yourself stressed trying to get out of the way of bigger rigs. ;)
Del

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I would add that the more you can stay on the trail during week days, the better. On weekends, you might find yourself stressed trying to get out of the way of bigger rigs. ;)
Del
This is great advice.

PM me when you guys plan to go, I may be able to come up for the day or something if you are heading in through Loon, and help out or show ya around.

Go between a bigger rig that way someone can easily pull you back or forward, you`ll be fine, just slower through the bigger rock sections.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Samurai almost identical to yours....only minor difference I see is I have 31's. I've done the Rubicon about a dozen times in it and while I don't think I'm that great of a driver have had little real trouble. I do have to work harder than most (especially with no power steering) and am probably slower than most at difficult areas, but rarely need a strap. Have fun.
Mark

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops! I forgot the power steering. I do have that.

Thanks for all the advice guys, our group will probably be pretty small 3-6 rigs maybe but I have no problem being yanked over stuff, or getting out of other groups way. We are planning at least a 5 day trip sometime in july. A couple of the guys have done the trail a few times and we are trying to get Slinky Sam to take a couple days off to come visit again.

If some of you guys want to show us around a little more or just come hang out that would be cool. I will be trying to get some film and photos for a possible upcoming project.

We have discussed just camping at Loon and taking daily excursions in for 5 days also. That is what we did last time but only had 3 days so we never got very far.

I have wheeled this little guy pretty hard the last 6 years or so and have surprised many people. We did Moab last year and had a blast. So I am not afraid to scrape it over some big rocks if I have to.

And for the picture, it is just a ton of filtering in Light room to get that effect. I had just got my DSLR and did not know about the composite photo's yet.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Since you'll be going in July you'd better check the Jamboree schedules to make sure you are not going on those days. They have a parade permit and close the trail to non-participants.

Other than that you should be good to go. I have personnaly helped out many less built up rigs through the trail, so no worries. Have fun!

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
Come on Down

You will do fine and have the time of your lives wheeling. Don't miss the opportunity. :)

Wag Bags and Spill kits Be prepared for no campfire aka stove to cook also.

·
Vendor
1,956 Posts
as others have said you should be fine. i run an open/open sammi with a t-case and 31's and can go most places, just have to take a bypass or two and work it a little harder.

I usually make day runs from Wentworth and after a few days of that, i am tired of driving over the same stuff. might want to consider going in to camp at Spider or Buck at least one night to get some variety, plus both lakes are pretty nice to be at in July.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Holiday weekends are like you said "crazy busy". It is a completely different atomosphere on those weekends. That's fine if that's what you are into, but if you want to have a peacefull time that would not be in the works for you. If you go that weekend you might want to consider going in from the Wentworth Springs side. It would be way less busy that way.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well sounds like the club wants to go for June 30th-July 5th. I guess I will bring a lot of beer for the ensuing party that is sure to be there.

BTW thanks for all the advice.

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
I've taken a stock Samurai through the Rubicon several times with no trouble. Yours is plenty built for the 'Con - especially if you're a good driver. I've purposely built my current Samurai for the Rubicon: 31's, 6.4 t-case, locked rear, open front, manual steering, and lots of armor. Screw all those monster buggies! :flipoff2:

·
Master Tinkerer
1,319 Posts
PM me, let me know when you are thinking about going. You'll pass right by me.
Trying to plan several trips this summer.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts