Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mo here. Moved this to Newbie forum and deleted flames. Now, let's get this figured out

I need some help, PLEASE

I have been told several stories and I am trying to get to the truth.

I have an 82 CJ-7 with a AMC 20 rear end. Did any 82 CJ-7 come with a one piece axle? I have been told yes and no.

The only markings on the axles is "HILL USA 600" If anyone knows who makes this axle and or where I can get sealed bearings for it. I am in desperate need.

Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
pfinnegan said:
There is nothing stamped on the end of the axle.
Is there a nut on the end of the shaft?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If I were you, and I'm not, and I needed to replace a bearing, but had no idea what it was...I would remove it (if possible without messing it up) and bring it to a AP store that has a good listing of bearing sizes, types, etc...

You have the bearing, you can measure the dimensions of it and know what type it is probably.
Just figure out what bearing you can buy that replaces it.
Just bring the whole shaft to the store if you dont want to remove it.

You'd be amazed at the amount of info they have at AP stores if you just find someone with a clue that is willign to step away from the "make model and engine" computer and crack open a book or two.
You could go here as well.
http://www.timken.com/timken_ols/bearings/

MJ

·
Registered
87 Posts
pfinnegan said:
...where I can get sealed bearings for it...
Sealed Bearings? AMC20 axles use regular 2 piece Tappered roller bearings.

as for one piece vs. two piece, two piece ahs a nut on the end of the axle that holds the axle hub on. One piece is flat on the end.

As for one piece AMC20 axle from the factory, the only ones I've heard about were on FSJ's with the Corporate AMC20. And they were wide track FSJ's being Waggies, J-10's the big jeeps.. FSJ= Full Size Jeeps.

brent

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I think he knows he a 1 piece axles, just trying to find out what it is.
It is not stock.
M J gave you the answer. Take the bearing out & get the # off it, or take it to a good parts store (not one of the big chain places).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bearing fell apart when the axle was removed. I think I will have to buy a new one piece alxe kit.

Is the Superior Axle brand good?

·
Registered
87 Posts
WillyPete said:
all FSJ amc20s are one piece, whether WT or not.

I thought all FSJ were WT... One piece or not :D

Thanks for the info, I didn't know for certain...

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
WT= all j trucks and some cherokees (2 door "S" cherries are WT)
NT= most cherries and all wags (ok so there are a few dealer custom WT wags - like 5 of them)

·
Registered
182 Posts
CJ-Jeeper said:
Take the bearing out & get the # off it, or take it to a good parts store (not one of the big chain places).
NAPA is pretty damn good and it's a chain. It's the only place I shop for parts. I buy their oil, filters and whatever else I need there. Avoid Prep Boys unless it's real late and the others are closed. At that point in time never trust the kid behind the counter.

Are there any numbers whatsoever on this Busted bearing? If so take them and the measurements to NAPA. You could always check the other side. It probably needs replacing too.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I had a 77 CJ5 that had a M20 with a 1 piece kit from 4WP. The sealed bearing you describe also exploded in mine. I went to a bearing shop (King Bearing) in my area and they were very helpfull. You may have one of these shops in your area. They were able to set me up with tapered bearing and new seals on the spot. I eventually changed to the Summers Brothers kit and it gave me many years of problem free service ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
my 82 cj has one piece axles but i dont know bearing types

1 - 14 of 14 Posts