Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a 79 jeep cj-7 that totally restored by previous owner. It has a remanufactured 304 with edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock performer carb 650cfm, edelbrock air filter, fenderwell headers and 3in pipes out the sides. Don't know much more than that. What horsepower numbers ya think it would be making? Its lifted 2in and 1 body with 31" with i don't know what gears.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,420 Posts
With Edelbrock EFI on a bone stock 304 with 90,000 on the clock, my CJ 7 made 138 hp. Valve float was a big problem. The Jeep wouldn't rev beyond 4,000 rpm successfully. It had single exhaust and an open element air cleaner. This was with a t-150 and model 20 t-case.

With efi, shorty headers, 3" exhaust with SDT muffler and a performer cam, lifters, valve springs and a new timing chain it made 201 at the rear tires. NP435 and d300. The motor was not rebuilt other than these items.

It would depend on your camshaft but you should be between those two with a 4 barrel carb.I would doubt much higher due to the dual plane manifold, but I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I was just wondering it feels like it has a shit load of power I don't know what else was done to the jeep. My dad bought it almost 3 years ago from a jeep parts shop a buddy owns. It was his show jeep to sell parts its only got about 1800 miles on it since it was built. The guy that originally owned it before andy the jeep shop owner did the engine. Don't know if original heads or if bored. The thing looks brand new, my dad only driven it about 1000 miles in the last 3 years. It sits in the garage most of the time he takes it to town once in a while and to shows. He has other jeeps for offroading.

He has:
79 cj7 304
81 cj7 4.0
84 cj7 chevy straight six
50 willys
72 m35a2

Moms got:
02 wrangler SE

I have:
06 rubicon unlimited

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have had two CJs w/ 304s. The first was stock w/ headers but w/out the smog stuff. The second had pretty much the same set up as your dads. Mine sounded and felt strong. However, once I got into some muck and pushed on the gas, it didn't do a whole lot. On the street it did real well. I have since gone to a bored 360 w/ a RV cam, Holley projection, HEI dist. and boy what a difference when the skinny pedal is applied. I would guess you guys are still under or around the 200hp range.

·
Registered
542 Posts
the 304 is a good all around engine, but if you want more power out of it your probably at the limit. a 360-401 swap would give that pin you to the seat power your looking for. even a straight six (258) would be an upgrade. but the 304 would have about the same gas milage as a 258.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
but the 304 would have about the same gas milage as a 258.
elelbrock dual plane intake, rv2 cam, dual exhaust, stock exhaust manifolds, t-14 tranny(no overdrive), 33x12.5r15 and 4.27s', my 57 Willys Wagon averaged 16mpg. Now if I drove 75, it dropped down to 12. If I drove it up and down mountains, it got around 8.:shaking: I love my cummins.

I am just about to rebuild that tranny and tcase next week and throw the package into another rig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts