Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a built Yj on Chevy 1 ton axles. Right now I'm running an AX15 mated and clocked flat to a Dana 300. My ax15 is shot and I want to go to an auto. I already have a AMC 727. I know it mates to the 4.0 and to a Dana 300. I am 4 linked front and rear with double triangulated set up. So I am already running a 2 piece front shaft with a pillow block. Can I still clock the Dana 300 flat?

Another question... Will the 3 speed be suffice for 5.38 gears and 42s?

Here's a pic of the ride

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Yep, it'll bolt up, 300 will clock...but how about the crank sensor mount in the bellhousing? Don't forget about that.
Really, I'd install a TF999 (32RH) from a YJ or TJ. Ran one behind a 360 in my old YJ for years with great results.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I already have the 727 and I know it works good. I read somewhere the crank sensor shouldn't be too bad to move ill have to find where I read that

·
Registered
119 Posts
Had 5.13's and 40's on the YJ, 6cyl, ran down the highway no problem. Hey, Willys was doing it with 5.38's, 4cyl. and 29 inch tires!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Check with Hesco, they were having probelms getting harmonic balancers a few months ago because of their supplier...I would check with them before putting it all together, I had to buy mine off of a forum.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Meh, swap in an AW4. You get a strong trans, bolts up and has OD. Best part is that they are basically free and you can rebuild it yourself for about $180 when the time comes.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had a 360/727/300 and my 300 hung down a little. I know guys buy the clocking ring to take care of that. The biggest issue I had was tranny pan clearance. But, if you have a 2 piece up front, that is a mute point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts