Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got my 727 rebuilt, having trouble with the torque converter. I ordered one from Summit, advertised to fit. However it has the ring gear welded to it. Am i supposed to cut that off or what? I see no flexplate listed that would fit the amc motor and use the TQ ring gear.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The converter you received is for a Chrysler application, their flex plates don't have ring gears on them, the torque converter has them. One more thing to check is that the converter you received does not have any balancing weights welded onto it, AMC converters are neutral balanced, the counterweight is welded to the flex plate if it needs them (V-8s).

Try fitting it to your AMC flywheel anyways. IIRC, it will fit even with the Mopar ring gear still on it since it is smaller than the AMC flex plate ring gear.

End comes to end, call tech support at Summit, maybe they can exchange it with one without the ring gear. (Special order from the manufacturer)

Years ago (Early 1980's) I swapped in a '73 Matador cop car 401 and HD 727 in my '68 AMX. Walking around at the local pull your part wrecking yard I found a '68 383 Road Runner missing the engine and saw that the converter was a factory 11" high stall one (Stock on the AMC cop car was a low stall 12" converter). Anyways, I grabbed it and went to the checkout counter, the dumb bastard said it was a flywheel because it had the ring gear. A flywheel was about double what a converter cost, So I look at my buddy and ask him for a hammer. We proceeded to knock the ring gear off it right in front of the counterman, he then accepted that it was a torque converter and we got it at the cheaper price. He was laughing at us because he thought we had ruined it. I'm still running it in my AMX today!

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The converter you received is for a Chrysler application, their flex plates don't have ring gears on them, the torque converter has them. One more thing to check is that the converter you received does not have any balancing weights welded onto it, AMC converters are neutral balanced, the counterweight is welded to the flex plate if it needs them (V-8s).

Try fitting it to your AMC flywheel anyways. IIRC, it will fit even with the Mopar ring gear still on it since it is smaller than the AMC flex plate ring gear.

End comes to end, call tech support at Summit, maybe they can exchange it with one without the ring gear. (Special order from the manufacturer)

Years ago (Early 1980's) I swapped in a '73 Matador cop car 401 and HD 727 in my '68 AMX. Walking around at the local pull your part wrecking yard I found a '68 383 Road Runner missing the engine and saw that the converter was a factory 11" high stall one (Stock on the AMC cop car was a low stall 12" converter). Anyways, I grabbed it and went to the checkout counter, the dumb bastard said it was a flywheel because it had the ring gear. A flywheel was about double what a converter cost, So I look at my buddy and ask him for a hammer. We proceeded to knock the ring gear off it right in front of the counterman, he then accepted that it was a torque converter and we got it at the cheaper price. He was laughing at us because he thought we had ruined it. I'm still running it in my AMX today!

Thank you for the informative post. I wound up cutting my gear off and drilling the flex plate out to .48". Everything seems to be working well in my limited testing.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Stock Mopar/AMC Torqueflite converter to flexplate bolts are 5/16 SAE fine thread, does the aftermarket converter use larger bolts?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a webpage from one of the torque converter manufactures instructing to drill out the flexplate in the event that the all the bolts did not line up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts