Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes the best set of Headers for a Amc 360. It is mounted in a cj and I want in the frame headers...
Does anybody make a shorty set of headers for this motor.
And whos got the best prices..

Happy Holidays
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
They will be a pain in the ass with leaks no matter who you use.
Stick with stock manafolds.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
CJ said:
They will be a pain in the ass with leaks no matter who you use.
Stick with stock manafolds.
I agree. Port your stock manifolds and you will be much happier. I was so glad to get rid of mine and go back to stock. After gasket matching mine and putting them back on, the jeep actually seemed to run even better. :D

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Beat95YJ said:
At SEMA Edelbrock showed a shorty header to replace the factory manifolds. They should be available in late January. The have the air rails and will be CARB exempt. They will fit all AMC v8's.

Are they a direct replacement for the stock manifolds, or does the exhaust need to be modified to fit the new collectors?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes sir its true,
Called Edelbrock today and they said call back after the first of the year.

You should be able to get some end of January

Happy holidays
Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
Doug Thorley makes the best inframe headers for a CJ. Over the years I've ran Hookers, Black Jack, and Headman and the Doug Thorleys I'm running now ( about 4 years ) are the hands down best. I have not had to change gaskets yet. Very thick flanges.
Not cheap how ever.
JB

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I second the Doug Thorleys.

They are hands down the best headers. Inside frame, work with automatic transmissions, and are a tri-Y design. Really thick flanges, and the collectors will not blow out. the only bummer is that they come with a chrome finish that doesn't last very long. Get them Jet-Hot coated.

Cost about $350.

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
Thought I'd put in my 2 cents here. I purchased the Pacesetter in frame exhaust kit from JC Whitney. I paid less than $300 and got headers, cherry bombs and enough pre-bent tube to run back to the axle (prolly could have ran more with the extra tube they sent). Install only took an hour or so. The headers are nice (way nicer than the hooker fenderwell headers that plain old sucked), thick ass flanges and heavy gauge tube. I've run them for over 2 years and they are still in great shape. No leaks and they havent warped at all. I did a quick check of the JC Whitney site and could only find 4 and 6 cyl. kits, but I'm sure an extended 'search' will net you the V8 kit. :D

best picture I could find of them installed
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p7bf0139987a77d86c7099945e6be8fa1/fad6ece3.jpg

·
]2eDeYe
753 Posts
derf said:
Stepfor, is this it?

That's the one, but mine are not armorcoated. The kit comes with a bunch of tube, prebent to get around the transfer case, 2 cherry bombs, headers and clamps. I havent run any hangers and the headers haven't leaked yet, prolly due to the thick ass flanges.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I went with the coated headman inframe headers. I used Mr gasket copper gaskets haven't had any leaks yet and its been a couple of years .

·
Banned
272 Posts
I've been running Thorley Tri-Ys on my 304 for well over 10 years w/o any gasket failures. I've had to tighten the flange bolts a couple of times but I'm not going to complain. My CJ had fenderwell exits when I bought it and I couldn't keep them from leaking at the head or at the collector. Thorley's are worth the money IMO. The chrome isn't show quality by any means but mine has held up just fine.

The only downside is that the collectors are almost as low as the fixed spring mount on the rear of the front spring.

Brian

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I got pissed at my headers and ripped em off and threw them across the yard. I now have manifolds on.... I couldn't be happier!!! I was having to tighten up my friggen headers all the time and no matter how much I tightened them, they still leaked.

On top of that, they were in the friggen way.

·
Banned
272 Posts
HybridPOS said:
I got pissed at my headers and ripped em off and threw them across the yard. I now have manifolds on.... I couldn't be happier!!! I was having to tighten up my friggen headers all the time and no matter how much I tightened them, they still leaked.

On top of that, they were in the friggen way.
What brand?

Brian

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I ran a set of Headman fenderwell type for a couple of years on an early CJ5 with good results. For my CJ6 I wanted them inside the frame so I purchased a set for my 360. I painted them with a high temp ceramic paint that lasted about two seconds and was gone before the cam was broke in. Everything looked good, until my hydraulic clutch conversion had the driver side header sitting on the slave cylinder. I am going to put the stock manifolds back on. What a waste of a couple of $$$. It wasn't the headers fault though. Just got ahead of myself on the project.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts