Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am thinking of setting up my cj during the new engine install with a lot of AN fittings and hose. from what i have read in posts (fawking 739 pages) once you go there you will never regret it.
here are the questions :D
anyone know of a site that is like a conversion chart for idiots?(aprox pipe/line size to AN size shat like that)
The nifty socketless ones (cheap/simple) what kind of pressure can they handle (fuel line/tranny cooler?) and do you recomend them?
Where do you get your stuff(cheap and online)?
and any random thoughts on what to do what not what sucks what kicks arse and stuff like that

Doc

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
www.aeroquip.com

Dig through their site and you'll find their automotive hose catalog in .pdf format. It has a lot of good info in it.

Look for a racecar parts store that's local to you. Their prices should be good and they should also work with you in setting up the proper fittings. There are LOTS to choose from.

cmk

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cmk thanks for the link, like you said there IS a lot of choises :eek: i am getting interested i n the socketless fittings due to pice and simplisity but wonder how they hold up and what anyone is useing them for.
keep the info rolling in:D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
#4=1/4"
#6=3/8"
#8=1/2"
#12=3/4"

I think these are correct

Please correct me if I am wrong

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I've gotten mine from Jegs and Summit. I do not have a "Speed shop" close by that would have these in stock:( But I have learned to make a sketch of what, and how I plan to run things, and then make my order list from that. (you probably knew that too) You will be happy with them, and BUY the fancy wrench, you'll be sad when some dirtbag uses a cresent wrench and scratches the nice anodized finish:mad:

WEPS

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TJ Fan said:
Doc.....where are you at? Got an Airwing there? Ask one of the A&P's....they should have some nonairworthy fasteners around for you.
lol ya now that i am not at an "actual" military base is when i decided to go with them :D when i was on the west coast i could have gotten boxes of them for free but now i have to pay

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
If you are a cheap SOB like me, you can use JIC 37 fittings instead of the aluminum stuff that summit and jegs sell. JIC 37 normally come in steel or brass and are a whole lot cheaper. Look for them at places that sell air and gas hose fittings.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok now for any comments on the socketless fittings

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
here is a good catalog: http://www.martelbros.com/cgi-bin/s...e=AQP&cart_id=&category=aeroquip/aeroquip.htm

call these people and ask them to send you and Aeroquip catalog: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/

Racerparts seem to have some of the best prices and everything i have ever needed was in stock.

if you are running low-pressure (less than 250psi) thru the hose, look into the Socketless hose and fittings. i've used it quite a few times with 0 problems. putting the fitting on the hose is the hardest part.

i have also used the socketless fitting with both regular fuel hose and with the rubber AT cooler lines on my truck. both times everything worked fine together...i'm not advising, just sharing my experiences.

matt

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
:) AN stuff rules...

im about 1/2 done inconverting my zuke to 95% AN, so some observations,

*It much easier to do a single 37 flare than a dbl flare
*AN stuff is expensive in the begining, but alomost all fittings are reusable.
*I've made my own adapters for odd ball stuff by using the steel -fittings and brazing it to the other part.... (pwr steering pump banjo fititng)
*Metric sucks, anyone find a 14mm IF MALE to -6AM MALe adapter? (im using a 6" brake line with AN flare on one end.. but it looks cobb...)
* Take your time, its easy to see why brake lines arnt legal. Its easy to do but you need to take your time, use a sharpe blade....
* push on stuff is SOOOOO simple....
* Earls and others are all the same....
* CMK right , the manual has lots of good faq, how do i info on their products.... seach google, tons of pics on how to etc...
* i finally bought the aeroquip assm. lube, tired of grabing the closest thing, cause you "really" should use lube on the fittings...

FYI: i shop at summit alot, its 100% easier to have a paper copy of the Aerquip catalog and search on part#s cause they dont always have everything listed online (or easy to find) but it will come up in a search....
I also use www.anplumbing.com, www.speedwaymotors.com, and theother listed above.....

You wont regret doing it..... Just take time effort to get there....

-yag

1 - 16 of 16 Posts