Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How things have changed, and how they have stayed the same.

Apart from the grip, and trigger awareness, not a whole lot has changed. I'm willing to bet that most of us would have a real hard time with thier course of fire though. When was the last time you tried a 50 yard shot with a pistol? I know it's been years since I have.

1944 Army training movie for handgun shooting.

Combat Firing with Hand Guns (1944) - YouTube

·
Registered
26,689 Posts
"Due to the grip design it requires a slight upward cocking of the grip."

Hmm...

Almost like the Glock(and luger) was designed with ergonomics in mind...

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Every time I shoot an ICORE match I have to shoot at a tombstone Target from 50, 25, 10, and 3 yds.

-scott

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
That's unpossible. The only way to have a reliable AND accurate 1911 is to dump multi-Ks of $$$ into it...:smokin:

We had nothing that difficult. When I was in the Seabees ('74-'78) our course of fire was 15 yds (IIRC) of slow & rapid fire at a fairly large bull. Don't recall the exact number of rounds. We were taught a standard two handed grip. Even with our rattletrap doG-knows-how-old 1911s you could qualify Expert if you didn't spaz out on the rapid fire. By the time the M9 came out it was even easier.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Every time I shoot an ICORE match I have to shoot at a tombstone Target from 50, 25, 10, and 3 yds.

-scott
What size is a "tombstone" target? Sized as the name implies? The reason I'm asking is a friend of mine (LEO) and I have informal shooting comps. He pulls his service Glock out against whatever I have in the truck and we start with the wager. He pulls a lucky shot out every now and again, but by our retarded scoring, he always loses.

This sounds like the new challenge. :D

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
When was the last time you tried a 50 yard shot with a pistol?
Never 50, usually 100-200 yds :flipoff2:

My 45 SWC loads are pretty tame and you end up lobbing the things in there, usually they barely make a dent in tin by then as well.

We only do this when I have a get together at my place and we are shooting the rifles.

Neat video though.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
30 x 18 tombstone with 4inch X-ring 8inch A-ring and 12inch B-ring

-scott

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
"Due to the grip design it requires a slight upward cocking of the grip."

Hmm...

Almost like the Glock(and luger) was designed with ergonomics in mind...

:flipoff2:
:shaking:

" Points and shoots as naturally as pointing the finger" :flipoff2:

Nice tracers. :D

·
III
28,132 Posts
I was at the public range the other day watching some guy getting a hard on over hitting the 100 yard plate with his AR. I started banging it with my .41 just to see his face. Yes, I am a one upper.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't know what the current qual range is but Army standard used to be 60 rounds from 30 yrds on a standard sillouet.
When I was in the academy, one of the range instructors and I would practice 50 yrd draw and fires at 8" plates.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Never 50, usually 100-200 yds :flipoff2:

My 45 SWC loads are pretty tame and you end up lobbing the things in there, usually they barely make a dent in tin by then as well.

We only do this when I have a get together at my place and we are shooting the rifles.

Neat video though.
It's always interesting to shoot things at distances you wouldn't normally consider.

You can walk a 45 out to 500 yards... it's not effective at all though.

Same thing with shotgun slugs.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
30 x 18 tombstone with 4inch X-ring 8inch A-ring and 12inch B-ring

-scott
I don't know if I could even SEE a 12" target at 50 yds. Getting old brings teh suck. :(

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if I could even SEE a 12" target at 50 yds. Getting old brings teh suck. :(
Please turn in your drivers liscence, for the good of those on the road with you. If you can't see a 12" target at 150 feet, you are done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts