Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought these pictures would be good illustration to those thinking about cutting corners on a cage. This roll happened last weekend at Windrock in TN. My buddies sent me these photos and I am very happy to say they built a good cage and both walked away from this. The guy smiling is doing so because he is happy to be alive. They did one corner to corner roll and an unknown number of barrel rolls while falling off the cliff and hitting a tree or two on the way down.

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the guy smiling may be a member here. I know he lurks from time to time but, don't know if he has a screen name.

I agree, a lotto ticket would be a good thing for them. Too bad they have to drive to Georgia to get one.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I would say he was a lucky fellow.. since even good cages are not built for cliff diving.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Camp said:
I think the guy smiling may be a member here. I know he lurks from time to time but, don't know if he has a screen name.

I agree, a lotto ticket would be a good thing for them. Too bad they have to drive to Georgia to get one.
Nope, Tennessee has made it to the 19th century, and now has the lottery. It went into effect about 4 months ago

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ZAG said:
holy shiat :eek:

did the frame leave the body :confused:
Yes, the body left the frame. Luckly, it appears as though he had the cage set up with the seats bolted to it and belt to. I have not seen this rig since I move out west in '01 so I don't know for sure. Hopefully they will come on here and tell us but, none the less, the cage saved them. Correction, I was there last year for a wedding but, don't remember looking at the rig. I was busy driving his big block blazer. :D

Wow, TN has lottery now. Learn something new everyday. :D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is alright.

Just a quick question from a newb, wouldn't a "good cage" be tied to the frame (at multiple points)? I mean I know they made it out alright, but did they get lucky with what they had or was that cage designed as an ejection capsule?

JW

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They were on the exit of trail 7 I believe.

As for being tied to the frame, that is a matter of choice. Some will say yes, some will say no. The way I look at it, since I'm a mechanical engineer, is the added weight of the chassis would only induce more stress into the cage in this situation had they not seperated. I run a full tube buggy though so, it is not a choice for me.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I was told to stay clear of 7 and 14 in the suzuki.
Doesn't 7 have alot of ledges?

Anymore pics?

This is definitely a good motivator for me to keep working on mine.

Also, in pic 4. The motor is rightside up and the tub upside down?
WOW, glad to hear they didn't get hurt.

I definitely want to hear input from these guys of what went wrong and what went right.

Also, where are the pics of the axles and frame?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe 7 is a trail that I helped reopen back in '01 after a land slide at the exit, at least trying to look at the pictures and remember it anyway. I don't remember the trail all that well though so, I could easily be wrong.

In the email they sent me, they said the engine stumbled and died on the way up. The driver tried to get it started again and it was continuing to roll/slide back. In the process it hit something that turned it into a corner to corner roll and from there, down it went.

Here are few more pictures they sent me of it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.