Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
figured id start a build thread here. i have one going on fsb already https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/57-78-96-build-forum-builds-only/465233-angelos-78-trail-truck.html

post from when i bought in in june 2017
back in September 2016 i sold my 95bronco and bought a 92 f250 with the idi diesel. now the 250 is a 4x4 but with its wheel base and weight not really the best for trails plus i didnt want to beat my daily and work truck off road. so i have been watching craigslist for a cheap 78-79 to use as a backup truck and a trail truck. since i want it for trails i wasnt to concerned about rust i just wanted the rest of the truck to be fairly solid and the floors solid enough to be fixable so i dont get water coming in. about a month ago i saw a really rusty beat 78 for sale on facebook i really liked the patina and the name on the door so i figured if its cheap enough it would be worth looking at. when i messaged him he said he had a drivable 78 also and he would sell both for 3,000. couple weeks later when i got back to florida i rented a u haul and drove to the other coast to look at them. i was going to drive the blue one back and trailer the parts truck, but the blue one wasnt ready for a 3 hour drive with like 50 miles between gas station and like 100 between parts stores. so i had to make 2 trips about 600 miles total.

my friends have named its grits because of the front license plate

and then the parts truck "old number 7"

so the blue truck hasnt been registered since 2006. the last owner was a old lady who probably never used it. the guy i bought it from has multiple 79-79 broncos and just used it around the yard and occasional mud run. it starts really fast, faster than my 95 did. the only leaks are the rear axle and rear break lines. the motor has 0 leaks and looks like it was rebuilt at somepoint since it was fresh paint. i have not been able to go faster than idle though because it starves for fuel. the guy told me the carb on it is junk and gave me a holley to replace it which i am doing now. but i think the fuel pump is bad to becuase it cant fill the clear filter before the carb. so im replacing that tomorrow. right now its running on a boat tank in the cab because the fuel lines for the original are rusted, thats how the po has ran it since he bought it. i dropped the tank today and it had about 5 gallons of atleast 10 year old brown gas. the tanks going to need a good cleaning but its savable i think.
right now i plan on getting it running and some what reliable. than im going to fix the rust in the important spots and stop the rest from getting worse. from there lift, sliders, cage and bumpers. im decent at welding but im going to have to get a bigger welder so i can do the thicker steel

only rust on the entire floor

and some of old number 7

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

there is signatures all over the dash and headliner

angelo190471's Library | Photobucket
heres all the pictures. these are more for me, i wanted to be able to see how much has changed

and heres the current pictures
received_218442149037610 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

i was going to build a full size snorkle but decided on this. since its exhaust pipe i can just put a extension on it if i know it will be deeper then that where im going. it has a spectre in line filter under the hood.
20180707_150956 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

Sliders i build.
20181104_182552 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

it has fender exit headers with glasspacks that exit above the sliders. im going to get quieter mufflers eventually.
20181106_163931 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

e fans from a ford windstar fit dentside radiators almost perfect. i have a flex a lite controller for them
20181021_151035 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

20190324_092215 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

20181117_125827 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

when i get more time ill post pictures explaining more of what i have done to it

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
That thing really doesn't look bad at all even with a little rust. I think you got a good score. I have always liked these 2 year Broncos, but it may have been a bit of a blessing that they didn't debut in '73 as Ford originally intended (more early Bronco production)

Any rubbing issues with the fenderwell exits? Also what tire size are you running? I have wanted to go with them on my truck because of the sheer convenience, even though my 460 is not making massive power, yet. I am just worried about rubbing at full lock. Mad Dog has some very affordable options for them, and I figure that your wider late dentside frame can't be too far off from my '83, and you've no doubt got more turning radius than my leaf sprung Dana 60. I do have TWF wheels which are about 1" wider on either side to help out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That thing really doesn't look bad at all even with a little rust. I think you got a good score. I have always liked these 2 year Broncos, but it may have been a bit of a blessing that they didn't debut in '73 as Ford originally intended (more early Bronco production)

Any rubbing issues with the fenderwell exits? Also what tire size are you running? I have wanted to go with them on my truck because of the sheer convenience, even though my 460 is not making massive power, yet. I am just worried about rubbing at full lock. Mad Dog has some very affordable options for them, and I figure that your wider late dentside frame can't be too far off from my '83, and you've no doubt got more turning radius than my leaf sprung Dana 60. I do have TWF wheels which are about 1" wider on either side to help out.
never had any rubbing on the headers. when i was running the 37x12 with stock wheels it would rub the radius arms. i now have 37x14 on 15x14 wheels. i have no rubbing.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
never had any rubbing on the headers. when i was running the 37x12 with stock wheels it would rub the radius arms. i now have 37x14 on 15x14 wheels. i have no rubbing.
Nice. I may risk it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
so it has glasspacks right now? and your getting quieter mufflers later

peer pressure: Id get them outa there.. sooner than later., cuz Ive been hatin on them for many many years.. making fun of people who have them.. even to their face.. however, Im bigger then 99% of the people (6'7"275 right now), so its different for me.. but really.. they dont sound good.. and your friends should tell you the truth.. ask them..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

peer pressure: Id get them outa there.. sooner than later., cuz Ive been hatin on them for many many years.. making fun of people who have them.. even to their face.. however, Im bigger then 99% of the people (6'7"275 right now), so its different for me.. but really.. they dont sound good.. and your friends should tell you the truth.. ask them..
there like 24" glass packs. i was going to just keep open headers but the long tubes were just way to loud compared to the manifold with couple feet of pipe. i just bought the cheapest mufflers i could find that were compact. they made almost no difference... its almost just as loud.. i didnt like the sound at first but im starting to like them. but they are still to loud and will be replaced.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
there like 24" glass packs. i was going to just keep open headers but the long tubes were just way to loud compared to the manifold with couple feet of pipe. i just bought the cheapest mufflers i could find that were compact. they made almost no difference... its almost just as loud.. i didnt like the sound at first but im starting to like them. but they are still to loud and will be replaced.
What diameter and brand are they? The smaller sizes are usually some of the quieter mufflers out there, but they're still going to be loud without a full exhaust system under there (pipes running at least a few feet past the muffler exit). I have a pair of 24" long 3" ID under my truck and it's noisy but actually one of the quietest mufflers I've ever had on my truck next to the stock turbo muffler. If you like a classic sounding V8, they're hard to beat.

Seriously Lurch, is there a thread where you don't mention your size and weight anymore? Projecting much?

If I ever run into you at a car show while in my street/strip ride, (unlikely, I don't like messican hoopties or the cesspit Austin that much) I'm going to rev the piss out of my glass packs every time you talk so you can really enjoy what a side exit 6" long race bullet glass pack sounds like with a performance big block pushing exhaust through it.

Nobody cares how big you are, and nobody cares what YOU think about the mufflers on their car. Talk about your own pile of crap for once instead of criticizing other's stuff. Especially people you don't know and just met. That's a real winner way to make friends for someone who's already socially awkward. :shaking:

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
20181106_163945 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

20181106_163950 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

pretty sure they are jegs brand
Those look relatively large, so I'm guessing they're probably straight through on the inside with no choking. If it's too loud you could try a turbo style but I've never cared for how quiet they can be. There's so many mufflers on the market now, hopefully someone can chime in about what sounds good at a lower sound level.

I'm actually working on exhaust again for the truck this week since the old setup won't bolt back in with the new doubler. I've been toying with the idea of making my own muffler. Also been interested in the new DBx muffler that's out since it doesn't seem to have the back popping noise that you get with a normal glass pack.

Oh, and nice shaft. :smokin: :laughing:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have dual Magnaflows on my 78 Bronco with a 460. I wanted it to be quiet but still sound good. It's right for me but some say it's too quiet. I didn't want the droning noise that some people talk about with louder mufflers like Flowmaster 40s or others. Consider them and read up on them.

Arti54an is still here creeping :homer:

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
Those look relatively large, so I'm guessing they're probably straight through on the inside with no choking. If it's too loud you could try a turbo style but I've never cared for how quiet they can be. There's so many mufflers on the market now, hopefully someone can chime in about what sounds good at a lower sound level.

I'm actually working on exhaust again for the truck this week since the old setup won't bolt back in with the new doubler. I've been toying with the idea of making my own muffler. Also been interested in the new DBx muffler that's out since it doesn't seem to have the back popping noise that you get with a normal glass pack.

Oh, and nice shaft. :smokin: :laughing:
The longer a glasspack is, the more mellow the sound, I like 30" personally. If you are running a carb and don't like the lowrider-like frappy pop on deceleration, just richen the idle mixture screws a bit until it goes away. It doesn't take much, and it won't make a noticeable difference in idle quality.
Travis..

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
The longer a glasspack is, the more mellow the sound, I like 30" personally. If you are running a carb and don't like the lowrider-like frappy pop on deceleration, just richen the idle mixture screws a bit until it goes away. It doesn't take much, and it won't make a noticeable difference in idle quality.
Travis..
No carb anymore.

What I ended up doing was taking two 3" ID x 30" glass packs and making one big 60" torpedo. Built a new Y pipe and attached that at the end.

I actually really dig the sound of it now that it's got some real length. It's quieter but still has that throaty sound when you hammer it. These are 4" in diameter mufflers that are 3" all the way through.

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
No carb anymore.

What I ended up doing was taking two 3" ID x 30" glass packs and making one big 60" torpedo. Built a new Y pipe and attached that at the end.

I actually really dig the sound of it now that it's got some real length. It's quieter but still has that throaty sound when you hammer it. These are 4" in diameter mufflers that are 3" all the way through.
Nice :grinpimp:
Travis..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your parking brake cables look a bit tight; have you checked on them when flexed out?

the pictures deceiving. they have plenty of slack.

did some rust repair last week
20190704_113155 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

20190704_133234 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

20190704_113057 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

20190704_113101 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

guess i didnt take a before picture for that one

not perfect, the metal did warp a little from grinding, but i dont really care as long as its not a hole.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Havnt really done much to the bronco recently. I just finished strengthening, redecking and painting my flatbed.

I made a console out of 2 ammo cans. i still have to make some cup holders. but other then that its the perfect height for a arm rest locks and is waterproof.

MVIMG_20190929_161753 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

IMG_20190929_161744 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

I replaced my steering wheel with the sport wheel i found on ebay. it wasnt from a truck though so it has no horn button. its a couple inches bigger then the wheel i had before

IMG_20190929_161739 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

so i put the horn button on the floor
IMG_20190929_161736 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

I also found the 4 tone horns from a Cadillac in the junk yard to replace the factory horns that didnt work

MVIMG_20190929_161657 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

my battery died on me. so im setting it up for 2 group 24 battery.i replaced all the battery cables i think it was 2 gauge? tinned marine cables with a blue seas battery switch. also had to replace the alternator.

IMG_20190929_161652 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

IMG_20190929_161708 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

both grounds go to the block, the passanger side has a jumper from block to the frame

IMG_20190929_161722 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr
still need to replace that battery. that ones dead, just there for to make the cables.

IMG_20190929_164013 by Angelo Mehtala, on Flickr

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wiring looks very messy. If it were me I'd be labeling and looming everything, routing ground/power wires together, re-routing it away from dangers, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wiring looks very messy. If it were me I'd be labeling and looming everything, routing ground/power wires together, re-routing it away from dangers, etc.
my wiring definitely not messy. its just not in looms yet becuase im still adding wires. all the wires are grouped together and zip tied. nothings loose or just hanging. No need to label if you use different colors and know what youve done to it. my fuse box is labeled though

1 - 20 of 27 Posts