Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering with a coil sprung rear end, if you angled the coils forward a bit, would this take some of the load off your links? Affecting antisquat in a positive way?

A friend and I were discussing this issue:
"It was my idea (sometimes I make things up in my head!) once you get the wheelbase to a certain angle (say 40deg for arguments sake) the springs are doing pretty much nothing, and all the weight is transferred onto the links. I'm just thinking out loud, but if you tilt the springs forward 20deg, the 40deg value *may* become 60 deg. Although, I think there must be some other variable to add to this equation??"

I think it sounds like a good idea, and was considering leaning the coils forward on my trail rig, as a lot of the trails here involve steep climbs in both short and long varieties!

Any ideas on thsi?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't think the coils will change anything
if your standing the truck up on end the links won't want to compress,changing the coils position won't do anything

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wouldn't think it would change anything. The suspension travels in a preset arc, tilting the springs foward would just make them less effective overall. Kinda like mounting your shocks in a / \.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
it will have an impact on teh force in the links and thus have an imact on the charactereistics however i doubt it enough force to even matter as in neglegible

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
hummmm well i angeld my bear one time but that stuff ran right out:flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
frankie finland said:
hummmm well i angeld my bear one time but that stuff ran right out:flipoff2:
how do you angeld a bear?

maybe you angled your beer? :flipoff2:

ya, your spelink be not gut :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
the more i drink the more you sound like you are from tazmania:flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
frankie finland said:
the more i drink the more you sound like you are from tazmania:flipoff2:
its spelt tasmania, and im from a fair way north, but i like looking at maps of tasmania :p

(where you getting your local knowledge??) :)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
well i was in norway for a cold bit then i went to australia for a shard dive i lost all my fingers dam i should have not been trying to pet the shraks :rolleyes: thats why my spelling is so bad i am very ggod speller but my pecker has a mind of its own he cant spell for shity:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
JUST PLAYING:D
i love australia i wont to live there but i heard you must be able to do somthing that will benfit the country or visit and leave:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Your spring rate will go down, that's it. For example, if you have 500lb/in springs, and you run them on a 45 degree angle (perpendicular to the travel of the suspension, and for the sake of arguement, that's vertical only and not an arc) you'll end up with 250lb/in springs. The links handle the axis the axle moves in relation to the vehicle, while springs handle ride characteristics and height.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
frankie finland said:
well i was in norway for a cold bit then i went to australia for a shard dive i lost all my fingers dam i should have not been trying to pet the shraks :rolleyes: thats why my spelling is so bad i am very ggod speller but my pecker has a mind of its own he cant spell for shity:flipoff2:
mine is too fat to hit the keys individually, i find i have a much better success rate when using these :flipoff2:

a map of tassie, is similar to a muff :D

you can pat the sharks just careful they dont eat you

i was patting this one, and his friend got a bit jealous :eek: :flipoff2: he lost more than his hand :D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
frankie finland said:
JUST PLAYING:D
i love australia i wont to live there but i heard you must be able to do somthing that will benfit the country or visit and leave:confused:
benefit ;) i am only playing too

i think the rigs you build could greatly benefit us :flipoff2: except rockwells are heavy, bring some 60s with alloys, and we will talk :p

if you want to visit, make sure you let us know, i am keen to show you how we wheel:p

or check out:
www.outerlimits4x4.com

let them all know, they'll take you one wheelin trips. I am in brisbane, about halfway up the east coast
sydney and melbourne are gay = mud :D

brisbane = rocks/sand/mud/hillclimbs and chics, lots of chics!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
chicks hell ya!! what time is it is the land down under?
do you know the crockadile hunter ?

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
frankie finland said:
thats a hammerhead say 9 feet or so ??
its a baby one, i live on the coast and that was caught a couple hours north

its not actually me, its out of a fishin magazine, i go scuba diving and ive seen a 18foot shark at the wrecks one day :eek:

i was frightened!!

the 3rd largest shark ever caught was caught right near there too! bring your togs (bathers) ;)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
togs no way skinny or no dippin alabama red neck rule # 5:D

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
frankie finland said:
chicks hell ya!! what time is it is the land down under?
do you know the crockadile hunter ?
it is 4:22 pm for me, im running GMT +10:00 hrs ;)
AEST (non daylight savings)

the "crocodile" hunter is more of a gimmick to sell to you yanks, im not real impressed, his theme park is about 40 mins north of my house, BUT ive never been there, ive only seen him twice on TV on the footy show and once in a bar, never talked to him, i thought he was a bit of a wanker, but i'm probably just jealous of his $$ :D

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
frankie finland said:
togs no way skinny or no dippin alabama red neck rule # 5:D
your white flesh will reflect underwater and you will be attacked (thats why i wear a wetsuit) allows other to see how much pucker factor you had after you get out of the water

oh and today is monday the 24/02/03 for us, cause we are a day ahead of you guys :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts