Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys I have to get out of here in an hour and am hoping to take care of this problem tonight if possible. I bought some durabak and sprayed it last night and I love the stuff but I ran out! Problem is it'll take me another week to get it, I got a first coat and some second coat. I need to touch up mostly the floors, etc....

Has anyone had both or tried both? They are both black, I know the duplicolor is crap but it's cheap and readily available as in I can pick it up right now. I hear stories of duplicolor coming off, but I figure since I already have a first coat of badass durabak that is super well prepped, then I'll be OK because the duplicolor will stick to that :confused: But do they have different consistencies? I remember they are pretty similar, aka a hard plastic type material when dry?

Thanks guys...
Please advise!

PS - they are both black.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Seems like one should melt into the other, (no expierence) if you shoot the second coat before the first is totally cured?

Do they have simular base solvent?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From doing searches for a little while here looks like they are the same thing. Big complaints about the dupicolor is that it peels if sprayed too thin and gets brittle if sprayed too thick. I am honestly still in the air, somwhat low on extra money right now, and am trying to get this wrapped up soon, but, I don't want to ruin all the tim and prep I put into the durabak already.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dude, slow down and wait for the good stuff. I sprayed the interior of my LR 109 SW load area with duplicolor and it holds up ok there, but anywhere prone to drumming, or heavy vibration, it'll flake right off. the stuff is shite, and suitable only for touching up wheel well inners and other primpring type stuff. It's only positive is its cheap, easy to get and is in a rattle can.

Its holding up in my rover only because I covered the load bed with one of those big recycled tire front door mat type mats from Enco.

All other floor areas got herculiner. It rules.

I'd be a bit concerned about compatibility. It'd really suck to spray the duplicolor on and go get a beer, come back in five and see whole sheets of the durabak bubbling and peeling!

Inhale some diesel smoke, relax, and find another project and wait for teh durabak to arrive. Bum deal.

Simon

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out Herculiner and Durabak are the exact same thing made by the same people, Herculiner is the commercially marketed and comes in black (and can come in grey and red) and is marketed as a "do it yourself roll on" but is basically the same thing.

Durabak is used for ships, comes in shades and can be custom ordered. I think it is also usually sprayed so I think that is where at least the visual appears if any.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Direct from manufacturer. Finished up spraying the rest last night w/ herculiner and it is definetely the same stuff, turned out awesome actually. Herc comes in black only on the shelves as far as I know, and grey or red can be orded. It is the same price and Herc is marketed as a "roll on" kit but spraying came out absolutely awesome and in my book is the way to go even though I have seen very good results with the roller for example the infamous "trail trailer" which is rolled with Herc.

I used a $8 Rock Shutz gun from Harbor Freight, a 26 gallon compressor, and a gallon of zylene from Home Depot and if I used only a gallon I'd be into it less than $115. I sprayed at about 50-60 PSI and got great results. I don't think my compressor had enough volume to really make it spit out but it was drippy and gooey at 40 PSI the first night which may be one more reason I ran out but I am happy and have a very nice thick coat especially at the firewall, feet areas and cargo area where I need it more. I cannot express how happy I am with the results... :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
What is the drying or curing time? Also, any odor? I've been thinking about doing the interior of my 80. I'm sick of carpet. I want a hose it out interior.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked on it this morning and it was pretty solid in a closed garage at cold temps. They say at normal ideal temps (low humidity and 70 degrees) one day and it's solid, 5-6 days and it cures completely. According to their own directions you can use it in a day and the curing mostly has to do with how it will react with chemicals, such as xylene which is the thinner you use to clean it up.

When I get some photos I'll post it. I think you can do a damn good job in an 80 using a 1.25 gallons so you would be into it less than $150 with purchasing the gun and everything :)

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also pretty neat how much it covered up. I actually put a couple pennies over some holes I had drilled and not used and sprayed over it. In some places you can't even tell. It does still smell like bed liner but noticable difference, I am only running this so far and noise and general different/better feeling inside for sure :)

The tranny hump is fabbed up, pennies over 4 sets of holes on the tranny hump :)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
DAMN that looks great, dre. Makes me wish I had sprayed mine on when I did it years ago.
I am missing a huge chunk where brake fluid spilled out of a container and peeled it up like latex paint, maybe I will redo it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts