Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started this buildup about around 6 months ago and this is my first major build. I have pretty much learned as I progressed with the project and I am getting the final stages of it now.

My jeep was on a RE short arm kit with 37's and it had gotten to point that I need long arms, stronger front axle and more wheelbase so I made the big jump and sold everything from under my Jeep and started to built it up. Here are some before pictures:

The new specs are:
Ford 79' HP 60 front with 5.13's and a full case detroit
3 link front with panhard and 4 link rear
14 bolt rear with 5.13's and welded with disc brakes
39.5x14x17 IROKS on H2 wheels
Wheelbase 106"

Here is the HP60 after I got it and got the wire wheel to it:

Here is the 14bolt that I got ready to go:

I got both axles in the forsale section on here. :D I had my buddy setup the gears and the detroit in the 60 and then replaced all of the bearings and kingpins so everything was new. I then got the jeep stripped down and sold everything from under it:

I am a cheap bastard so I pretty much made all of my brackets and tabs for the project which took alot of time and alot of cutoff wheels but it was worth saving that extra $1 or $2. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have seen good experiences with using square tube for control arms so I went with some 2x2x.25 wall tubing for all of my control arms. I am using bushings on the axle end of the lowers and JJ's at the frame. For the uppers I am using flex joints at the frame and JJ's at the axle end. Here are my front arms getting made:

Truss with spring pads on the 60:

Front adjustable driverside upper frame mount:

Started mocking everything up in place for the front 3 link and I tried to get as much stretch out of the front as I could without moving the steering box:

I am going for a low stance and don't have the money for fully hydro at this time so I went with an over the knuckle tie-rod with 1 hi-steer arm on the passenger side for my drag link:

To eliminate bumpsteer as much as possible, I tried to get my panhard mount as long as I could and directly in line with the drag link. I made a custom raised axle mount and and lower my frame mount:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the axle painted and ready to be installed and we noticed while installing the new u-joints that I have a hair line crack in one of the ears of my inners so I will need to get some chromollys before the first ride :grinpimp:

I ended up with them as close as I could get them in line:

The panhard has a straight shot to the to the frame:

Front end sitting on its own with RE 4.5 springs and almost 3" of stretch:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It was then time to work on the rear. I first grinded the lip off on the 14 bolt so it had a smooth bottom:

Then made a truss out of some 2.5x2.5x.25" square tubing:

I already had PS crusher corners and decided I should just keep using them and cut out the space that I needed and here is what I ended up with:

I wanted my rear uppers to be adjustable just like my front upper so here are the rear frame mounts I made:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I then started mocking up my uppers and lowers:

Here is with all of the links mounted front and rear:

I now need to find a home for my coil springs and I wanted to run front TJ coil springs so I need to notch the frame:

Here it is plated with the spring pad:

I also added a frame tie-in/brace after that to stregthen the frame a little more:

After getting the upper spring mounts done, I got the lowers burnt in and the rest of the tabs also:

Painted:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have doing all of the welding on this project with a stick/arc welder and I did not want to burn my frame brackets in with it upside down so I got my buddy to bring over his mig so I could burn everything in with it. Then I pushed everything back under the Jeep and bolted the tires on and sitting at 106" wheelbase and sitting 6'7" to the top of my B-pillar:

I got the brakes bled and everything done minus shocks and limiting straps in the rear. I took it on a test drive and it drives straight and true with no bumpsteer. I am waiting on a new brake line for the rear since I busted it on accident and I still need to mount my shocks when they come in next week and I am debating on how to mount the rears.

That is where I am at right now. I am still working all of the kinks out. I should have some chromo shafts, limiting straps, new hubs, and shocks so I can go on a ride by the end of July.

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
pretty damn similar to my most recent build...I like it. I was running stock tj front coils in the rear but they were too soft so I replaced them with front xj coils and cut about 1.5 turns off of the bottom. the jeep is a lot more stable now and doesnt bottom out as much. just something to consider

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice work Tweeba, looking good. You need to get it out on the trails :D
Thanks, matt. You ain't kidding. I should have the kinks worked out by next weekend and then I am trying to get my money flow back up for the chromos so I don't have to use the plastic. :flipoff2:

pretty damn similar to my most recent build...I like it. I was running stock tj front coils in the rear but they were too soft so I replaced them with front xj coils and cut about 1.5 turns off of the bottom. the jeep is a lot more stable now and doesnt bottom out as much. just something to consider
I like the stance the TJ coils give me and the reason I didn't want to go with ZJ or XJ coils is because it would make me to high (and I already had the TJ coils from when I bought the jeep. :D ). That is a good idea on using the XJ's and cutting some off the bottom of the coil. I won't know the stability of these until I get my shocks on. How do you like your shocks inboarded at such an angle?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nice! What is next on the list?
Wheelin. :smokin:

This weekend I have to cut some more out of the rear fenders and possibly move my body mounts and then add 2" of bumpstop to the rear.

Next week my shocks should be here so I can get them mounted up and then get my limiting strap mounts done and ordered for the rear.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
How much bumpsteer and lateral swing do you have with that short panhard? Is the mount on the axle inside the framerail? If not it looks like it is also going to limit uptravel.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
How much bumpsteer and lateral swing do you have with that short panhard? Is the mount on the axle inside the framerail? If not it looks like it is also going to limit uptravel.
I have ZERO bumpsteer. I can be going down a bumpy road and the jeep goes straight and I can go from 0-60 and not have any death wobble or shimmy. The frame mount is mounted close to the outside of the frame. I am running coil springs so I made the panhard as long as I could and it is up close to the passenger side coil. There was no room to run it in front of the coil spring without moving my steering box or going full hydro. I think it is only 3"-4" shorter than the drag link.

It does not limit my uptravel or downtravel but for being so low and running my drag link on top of a hi-steer arm, I am only running around 3" of uptravel anyway. I built it for mostly downtravel which works for me in slow crawling rocks.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hey Tweeba, do you live in Gulfport???? If not how close are you??? Are those first pics from the Superlift park in Hot Springs, if so, I was born and raised about a mile from the entrance and will soon be transfering back to Gulfport (Military). Maybe we can hook up later and get some wheelin' done.:grinpimp:

·
Mayor of Flat Rock
696 Posts
Tweeba, you're stretched out to 105". Is all of that from moving the rear axle back? Or did you get some of it from moving the front axle forward a little?

I will show my ignorance here by asking, is the front 3 link set up like you have with only one control arm going to one side of the frame a proven set up? Or is it something you came up with? I like it that you can still use you stock steering box.

Nice work. I'm going to be doing something similar with our TJ in the next few months and I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks,
NIB

1 - 20 of 113 Posts