1 - 20 of 500 Posts

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project NutKase! 1st Gen Hilux Bastard

Formally Project Hilux WTF
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621310
I've decided to bring my build to a new thread for a fresh start and a more experienced budget build. This is my first project. I plan on finishing on the cheap for now, and it will be a perfect, clean platform for upgrades.
I started with this; 79 cab on an 85 frame with f/r 85 axles geared 4:88 on 32 inch tsl's, 83 bed, 87 motor, weber DCOEs, no experience and a whole lot of rust! Drove it to its current home and it's been dying for the trails. The frame was complete garbage which led me to buy a 2nd gen 2wd truck and I had been planning on SASing that frame but plans changed.

Broken passenger side leaf spring perch.

Radiator was jb welded Blown head gasket, blown exhaust manifold gasket, hole in timing chain cover, springs bouncing around in bellhousing, etc

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
bought a rebuild kit, but it ended up getting used with a brand new engine that's in my dd now.

So the 79's frame (85) is completely rusted out

Those rodents f#cked this frame up.
Proceeded to rebuild the cab, almost complete, read up on my other post for other info but updates are here now.
Anyways, I just picked up an 88 parts truck today with mostly everything I need. :smokin:
This is how it sat before i bought it. tranny pulled, supposedly has blown head gasket, running on 2 cylinders yada yada yada

Custom step side bed made in Cali, fiberglass fenderflares

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
stripped my 84 celica last weekend, ready for a laugh?

took all the hardware, spare parts i needed, and selling the rest.

got it to the garage at 7pm, under the KNIFE!

Attachments

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I decided it was best to start this 88 UP! So, we hooked the 2.5 header up and I split the bellhousing off my 84's auto tranny like so.
It held the starter in place perfectly. thats all it needed!

Started right up! Sounds mean.

Attachments

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Every crossmember is garbage. The bed is getting pulled and I'm going to rebuild the floor and restore it. I'm thinking of customizing the tail gate even more. I don't like the current setup. It's a bitch to work with and I have to unhook/rehook every time i want to open and close it.
The 79 cab needs a little more body work. When I'm finished with the welding, It's getting put on its side and the bottom will be cleaned up and painted. I'm going to have to mod the body mounts for this 2nd gen frame to accept my 1st gen cab. I'm thinking of using the IFS rear axle along with using the v6 calipers, 1 inch bore landcruiser Master, 3 core radiator, etc from this 88 in my 79.
Updates coming soon!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
not to piss in your cheerios but why start with what you have there? blown motor shit frame and rusty cab... With the effort your putting into repairing it you could justify waiting for a better canidate. just throwin it out there. good luck

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
not to piss in your cheerios but why start with what you have there? blown motor shit frame and rusty cab... With the effort your putting into repairing it you could justify waiting for a better canidate. just throwin it out there. good luck
Exactly, just buy another truck from Ca, Az, Nm or wherever and have it shipped. You'll save a LOT of time and money and have something decent after you're done. If you want a good frame, cab, anything we can ship it to you.

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll tell you what - I would have saved a lot of time and all, but how am i supposed to learn without having to deal with this? You can't learn til you do it the hard way first, right? I've put a lot of effort in that i wouldn't have had to if i took the easy way out, and it's making me a better fabricator. experience is more valuable to me right now.

Attachments

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no time to wait for a good frame. I'm working with what i have and learning from it. I'm going to build a frame up with what i have and what i can get, and i'll do it with style, too.
As for the engine part - I have 4 22r's and 3 of them run. All are worth rebuilding, but I think i'm going to go old school and run the celica's engine with my DCOE's.

Attachments

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Alright.

I plan on widening the 85 front solid axle with the setup from the 88. Also, I'm going weld the rear and swap the 488 from my 85 rear axle into the 88. This will all happen in the future. Rears up front (combining the 85 and 88 rears to make a custom 3 inch lift in the front) and 63"er's.
We pulled the bed off my 88 last night. I've got some before and after pictures - it's pretty rusted but due to money and time constraints, I'm going to make a bastard of it.

The rear drivers side spring perch/frame rail is pretty rotted so that will be gutted and rebuilt.

All cross members are rotted, but i have good xmembers from my 85 frame that i can weld in. I'm going to SaS the 88 frame in the near future, clean the frame up, fit it for cross members (mount mount gas tank for position), and then POR-15 everything. More to come!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Wow! Crustilicous!:D You ought to start a worst/rustiest frame thread. I've seen one worse before.

1 - 20 of 500 Posts