Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i searched this chit but wading thru endless pages of useless info get damn old. ok i have access to a 91 cherokee 4.0 auto for converting my 258 into efi. my question is, are all the sensors in the head, that i will need, or does the 4.0 block have provisions for accomidating f.i sensors. i would rob the fuel tank, ecm and the head/intake. to make things easy i want to use the hesco wiring harness, and i know i need the cps, as i might even rob the auto out of it. or i might just say fawk it and do a tbi conversion, which would be so much easier to do and just rob the hei off of the 4.0. is the jeep efi that much better that tbi?

·
Registered
589 Posts
You are at the wrong place if you think someone is going to reply to this. If you are thinking about doing this swap you need to wade through those endless pages of useless info. There are HUNDREDS of post regarding this topic and just as many links to other sites that are dedicated to this swap.

If you don't want to take the time to research this, don't expect us to take the time to answer your elementary questions. :flipoff2:

Now delete this thread and do some research!

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Ever heard of google? I'll bet you could get answer real quick using it. It even came up with an article hosted by one of the people on this board.

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    19.6 KB Views: 137

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the flamin, i dig it. yeah cjoffroad is very detailed. but the bottom line for me is that i don't want to fawk with a cps everytime i do a tranny swap, so i think i will go tbi. thank god for gm efi, streamlined and way cheaper.. i did a 4.3 tbi swap in a cherokee and kicked ass, so i am much more familiar with tbi than mpfi, which is why i am trying to compare the two different systems.

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
I just did a fairly detailed write up on this. like two weeks ago.

Read it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, dozer i read your beer report, but of all the info i find, i just wanted to know if the 4.2 block would be installed with amy sensors, or if the 4.0 head carries all the required sensors. none of the write ups clarify this. as i am not an electrical guru, i would just buy a hesco harness. if you feel that my questions are covered in your write up or any other write up than excuse me. maybe its just me but all the write ups i find are a bit vaugue, if you don/t believe me than download the instructions for installing the jeep mpi retrofit kit for 4.2s.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
doomdog666 said:
ok thanks for the flamin, i dig it. yeah cjoffroad is very detailed. but the bottom line for me is that i don't want to fawk with a cps everytime i do a tranny swap, so i think i will go tbi. thank god for gm efi, streamlined and way cheaper.. i did a 4.3 tbi swap in a cherokee and kicked ass, so i am much more familiar with tbi than mpfi, which is why i am trying to compare the two different systems.
The flywheel CPS is not nessecary but then you already know that from all the research. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if the cps is not nessecary than why do all these people including dozerdan go through the trouble to install them, as dozer even broke down and bought a new flywheel (flex plate?) for his install. i know that a cps can be relocated to the harmonic balancer, but eliminated i have not read of yet. if it can be eliminated that why didn't you tell all these other people about it, as that is very inconsiderate and selfish.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
what sensors

Which sensors are you talking about? I've done the 4.0L head conversion with the MPI. I'm not sure what you are talking about though. :confused:

·
Registered
589 Posts
He said the FLYWHEEL CPS is not your only route. You can use a CPS that is mounted on the Harmonic balancer. The CPS is the heart of the MPFI system. Of course you can't eliminate it. Doug knows that. If you did, you would have understood his post.

BTW,
but the bottom line for me is that i don't want to fawk with a cps everytime i do a tranny swap,
This is the most illogical statement. How often do you swap trannies? This should not be a problem unless you have a fondness for the peugeots. :shaking:

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, yes i already knew that hesco makes a cps relocation kit, but if i understand it correctly, it depends on wether you use the serpentine or v belts. i can't remember where i read this, but i think on monster slayer. as far as trannys go, right now i have the t-176, but i want to go auto. i have a novak adapters kit to swap in a 465, but it goes to a 20 t/c. so i think i want a th400 from a late waggy. i'm sure that a cps can be retrofitted, but i;m not gonna set up the 176 now and then in the not so distant future set up a 400 to accept a cps. i think my plan is to go tbi. for now inject the 258 with a 4.0 head. if i run into a 360 for a good price, i will install that. and guess what, simply bu changing proms, i can carry over the tbi to the 360 with minimal effort. try that with mpi. variety is the spice of life, and it can be cheap too. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
doomdog666 said:
ok, yes i already knew that hesco makes a cps relocation kit, but if i understand it correctly, it depends on wether you use the serpentine or v belts. i can't remember where i read this, but i think on monster slayer. as far as trannys go, right now i have the t-176, but i want to go auto. i have a novak adapters kit to swap in a 465, but it goes to a 20 t/c. so i think i want a th400 from a late waggy. i'm sure that a cps can be retrofitted, but i;m not gonna set up the 176 now and then in the not so distant future set up a 400 to accept a cps. i think my plan is to go tbi. for now inject the 258 with a 4.0 head. if i run into a 360 for a good price, i will install that. and guess what, simply bu changing proms, i can carry over the tbi to the 360 with minimal effort. try that with mpi. variety is the spice of life, and it can be cheap too. :flipoff2:
Damn, make up your mind and go with it. Why'd you even mention "cheap" with all these different combos you can run now and later. You sound like a 14 year old girl in the mall. Sell the crap you have and get the stuff you want, as easy as that, then you won't need a cps. Duh!

·
Registered
589 Posts
JeepinDoug said:
Damn, make up your mind and go with it. Why'd you even mention "cheap" with all these different combos you can run now and later. You sound like a 14 year old girl in the mall. Sell the crap you have and get the stuff you want, as easy as that, then you won't need a cps. Duh!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ok first, doug, isn't research nessecary to make up a mind? i hate doing shit twice because im a cheap fawk, and i plan ahead before i act. big fawkin deal. do i piss you off, fawk an a. that's the pbb attitude. learn to like it; i hope your b/p goes through the roof every time you click on this thread, then i'd know i'm doing my part to piss you off. that is my style. that goes for anyone else who "dislikes" me. who fawkin cares, wooohoooo. i just might post to piss you off in hopes that one day you misplace your glicerine pills and fall over with your limp dick in one hand and at the same time trying to respond to one of my threads with the other. i can only hope. see ya soon :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
doomdog666 said:
ok first, doug, isn't research nessecary to make up a mind? i hate doing shit twice because im a cheap fawk, and i plan ahead before i act. big fawkin deal. do i piss you off, fawk an a. that's the pbb attitude. learn to like it; i hope your b/p goes through the roof every time you click on this thread, then i'd know i'm doing my part to piss you off. that is my style. that goes for anyone else who "dislikes" me. who fawkin cares, wooohoooo. i just might post to piss you off in hopes that one day you misplace your glicerine pills and fall over with your limp dick in one hand and at the same time trying to respond to one of my threads with the other. i can only hope. see ya soon :flipoff2:
Oh please, I've wiped and flushed bigger shit stains than you.
Your post doesn't piss me off at all, I've become very used to seeing DANs like yourself make fools of themselves and actually have come to enjoy watching them squirm by all the heat generated.
BTW, you are now premeditating your post padding, so go ahead and post drivel for the hell of it, become part of the band. :shaking:

Also, so you know;
This is sarcasm - :flipoff2:

This is the one you wanted to use - :flipoff: Just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JeepinDoug said:
Oh please, I've wiped and flushed bigger shit stains than you.
Your post doesn't piss me off at all, I've become very used to seeing DANs like yourself make fools of themselves and actually have come to enjoy watching them squirm by all the heat generated.
BTW, you are now premeditating your post padding, so go ahead and post drivel for the hell of it, become part of the band. :shaking:

Also, so you know;
This is sarcasm - :flipoff2:

This is the one you wanted to use - :flipoff: Just trying to be helpful.

1) admitting to flushing your underware is not only bad for sewer lines, but signs of poor bowel control.
2) admittance to gay flaming is the first step to recovery
3)i'm not even into your boybands, hell i don't even play an instrument.
4) actually i think this one fits best :evil:
5) how many people give a shit how many post we have, are you trying to compensate for something? :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
I wouldnt exactly say I BROKE DOWN and had to get a new flywheel.

I had the CPS, Had the computer for the CPS, had the notch in my bellhousing for the CPS, only my 90 flywheel had the wrond notching sequence for the computer to read, so for a staggering $40 i got a flywheel to work with it from a 91 YJ.

I thought $40 was better than the $300 + to buy the relocation kit, but hey what do i know

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well how much do you know , well more than me. i can admit that. this last weekend i went and got the 4.0 head. all i can say is that the wiring and vacuum lines are a nightmare. for all those that have done the conversion have my respect. that much sheet to dig through is more than i feel like doing. i'd almost rather pull teeth that sort through a bird nest of wires reading off a schematic. :evil: :evil:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts