Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well one too many rolls for the 4runner....the body was junk, so i stripped it down and have been swaping a single cab on to the frame.

here is what is left of the body

here are some pics of the frame i have been cleaning up and installing a 4-link in the rear and installed dual cases and sold my 4.7 geared case

here is my diff guard that is an 8" pipe cap

installed the single cab today

here are some better 4 links pics

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TEAMFX3 said:
Are those just urethane bushings on the ends of the links?
yes they are, and yes they will fail.....BUT i had the bushings and i am trying to build do this cab swap on the budget....plus $160 of the project is gone for profields:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the brakets are 1/4", i am trying to have the truck wheelable for a week from saturday. i have plans to box in the mounts a little better, just need to make the truck run first

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Nice job. I wonder if you could do a similar swap with a 90-95 truck cab onto a 90-95 4runner frame?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't think it would be much different, i did have to move the back 2 body mounts for the single cab. but no big deal.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my upper links are 75% of the lower links lengths. The Lower links are 4', so the uppers are 3'.

the coils are stock jeep tj front coils. It is pretty stiff, so after i get the tool box and rear tube bed on I am going to see if i need to go to areo star coils or not

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Fab work looks real nice :beer: Let us know how the link setup works and coil rates, etc. Is this going to be street driven as well? Got any pics of the coil mounts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I second that on the Coil Spring mounts, where did you get them, or what did you use to make them.
:D

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Looks good :)

Are the coils captured on one or both ends?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
on the top, i used the stock bump stops and drilled a hole into them. Then i took two t-case flanges, cut the splines off of them and welded a washer on the inside, then i could put a bolt up into the bump stop and it would capture the coil. It actually work awesome.

for the bottom, i am waiting on some XJ bump stops i won on ebay, i am going to weld on some tubing to the bucket on the bottom and put the bump stops in. so hopefully i will not over flex the springs and have them pop out, but i will add limit straps if that is the case.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
Can't see in the picture here, but buddy of mine captured the coils at the bottom, use a tube w/ bumpstop at the time, and used a small piece of cable w/ clamps to keep the coil from dropping off the bumpstop tube used to align it.

Anyone see a problem with capturing the coils top and bottom? Would limit flex, but seems way more stable and less noisy/banging around from loose coils.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
If I ever do it I'd capture them on the bottom and let them fall a couple inches then stop them with a plate and a center limit strap.

I got this idea from Twisted Metal's rig. Seemed to work quite well.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
DRM said:
Anyone see a problem with capturing the coils top and bottom? Would limit flex, but seems way more stable and less noisy/banging around from loose coils.
The only real problem I have found,is that it wears out the springs faster. That and some would argue that the axle wouldn't have the full weight on the tire at full flex. It would cause the spring to be pulling up on the axle...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts